2001 Cummins no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Cummins no start

I have a 2001 24V Cummins powered Ram. It is the HO version, with 6-speed transmission. It has been running fine. In 2007 a Cummins dealer replaced the Cummins computer on the truck, as it quit running right, and virtually quit running. No problems since.

Two days ago I drove in the yard, stopped, and raised one window. It stalled. I cranked it, it started fine, I moved it forward a few feet and then shut it off.

The next day I got in it to go somewhere. It started fine, moved forward a few feet and than quit. It would not start. It cranks fine.

The truck still has the original lift pump and injection pump at 129,000 miles. In 2007 that original lift pump still tested good, as per the Cummins dealer. Obviously, I don't know about it now. My intentions for a long time have been to add a fuel pressure gauge, but I regret to say I have not yet done so.

I intend to look at the diagnostic information in the service manual and try to retrieve the codes. I have no sophisticated test equipment.

My general question is this: Do you have thoughts as to a strategy I should pursue to revolve this problem, based upon your experience.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Hi,
    Sounds like you ran out of fuel.
    Can you hear the lift pump buzzing when you tap the key to start? If so, attach an old R-12 A/C gauge hose to the Schrader valve on the side of the injection pump and lay it over the fender. Tap the key again and you should get a nice, steady fuel flow from the hose for several seconds. No bubbles should be present.
    How much fuel does your gauge show? The reason I ask is that I have had a couple of these trucks run out of fuel when the gauge shows about 1/4 of a tank. Something goes wrong with the fuel gauge reading with no warning. My '01 Dodge Cummins did this to me once, and now I never go below 1/4 of a tank. Had this occur also with one with less than 70K miles...
    If the gauge shows 1/4 or less, get five gallons of diesel and put in the tank. Break open several of the most accessible injector lines close to the valve cover. I think you can get to at least three without too much trouble.
    Tap the key to the crank position and your lift pump should start buzzing. No need to crank, as it just burns up your starter.
    Do this several times until you see only fuel and no bubbles at the open injector lines, then close the lines, cross your fingers, and crank until it starts.
    May not be the problem, but just a suggestion.
    Thanks, David

Comment

Originally posted by David DeWeese View Post
      Hi,
      Sounds like you ran out of fuel.
      Can you hear the lift pump buzzing when you tap the key to start? If so, attach an old R-12 A/C gauge hose to the Schrader valve on the side of the injection pump and lay it over the fender. Tap the key again and you should get a nice, steady fuel flow from the hose for several seconds. No bubbles should be present.
      How much fuel does your gauge show? The reason I ask is that I have had a couple of these trucks run out of fuel when the gauge shows about 1/4 of a tank. Something goes wrong with the fuel gauge reading with no warning. My '01 Dodge Cummins did this to me once, and now I never go below 1/4 of a tank. Had this occur also with one with less than 70K miles...
      If the gauge shows 1/4 or less, get five gallons of diesel and put in the tank. Break open several of the most accessible injector lines close to the valve cover. I think you can get to at least three without too much trouble.
      Tap the key to the crank position and your lift pump should start buzzing. No need to crank, as it just burns up your starter.
      Do this several times until you see only fuel and no bubbles at the open injector lines, then close the lines, cross your fingers, and crank until it starts.
      May not be the problem, but just a suggestion.
      Thanks, David
      An interesting bit to add.

Last night I got home and wondered if it would start. I tried it and it started right up. I thought I would use that opportunity to position it better with regard to my shop door. It ran for over a minute, perhaps a minute and a half, and then just abruptly stopped again.

Fuel flow? I regret to admit I have not changed the filter for 20-25,000 miles.

Is the connection point you mention for test purposes?

Comment

Vehicle Application: 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Pickup 5.9L 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Pickup Quad Cab 5.9L
        1999 Dodge Ram 3500 Pickup 5.9L 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Pickup 5.9L, DIESEL, Vin 6, Turbo, Eng Cfg L6
        2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Pickup 5.9L, DIESEL, Vin 6, Turbo, Eng Cfg L6 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Pickup Quad Cab 5.9L
        2000 Dodge Ram 3500 Pickup 5.9L, DIESEL, Vin 6, Turbo, Eng Cfg L6 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Pickup 5.9L, DIESEL, Vin C, Turbo, Eng Cfg L6
        2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Pickup 5.9L, DIESEL, Vin 6, Turbo, Eng Cfg L6

Customer Concern: The engine cranks but it will not start or starts and stalls or has a low power complaint.
        Tests/Procedures: 1. Check the fuel pressure and for signs of air bubbles in the fuel delivery system.

2. Bump the starter and release the key to the on position to cause the transfer pump to run for about 25 seconds. If the pressure is at least 10 PSI, and there are no air bubbles under these conditions, replace the fuel injection pump.

3. If not at least 10 PSI, replace the fuel transfer pump, filter and the injection pump.
        Potential Causes: Fuel Filter
        Fuel Transfer Pump
        Injection Pump

Tech Tips: Inadequate fuel delivery will cause the fuel injection pump to fail.

Comment

The brown UPS truck dropped off my pressure test gauge ordered from Geno's Garage. I am assembling an issue, so won't have any chance to use it until next week. Dang.

My concern is that the lift pump may not be getting a control voltage. I checked the fuse and substituted a relay, but it does not run after the starter bump, as far as I can tell.

I am guessing I will have to diagnose that, but will try the pressure gauge first.

Comment

Working...
          X