1997 4x4 wander problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 4x4 wander problem

I have a 1997 cummins, 4x4 automatic with 127,000 miles. About 2 years ago I replaced all the balljoints, trackbar, wheel bearings, and front brakes. Before I did all this my truck drove great, drove like a dream had no trouble at all. Ever since it wants to wander all over the road if I correct and steer to the right it wants to go way to the right, and if I correct that to the left it wants to go way to the left. Just bought a 28 ft fith wheel camper and about lost the whole rig when passed by a bus on the interstate. The front end has been alighned 3 different times each time it is a little better but still not correct. A few weeks ago I put on brand new tires and the wander got really bad again. I have adjusted on the steering box as well but nothing seems to help or totally solve the problem. When I bought the truck it had 245 tires on it I am now on my second set of 265 tires. Replaced all the parts in the middle of the wear on the first set of 265s. Want to take family camping as much as we can be for cold weather comes, but scared to have my little boy in a truck I can't hang on to. Been pulling trailers with this and many other trucks for over 15 years so this camper is not my first pull. Any and all help very much need extremly frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

find an old thread here titled "death wobble". maybe 2007 or 08. Not sure which forum. I'll search it and bump it up to current. Lots of info there.

Comment

Sounds like my 96 cummins. It had been abused quite badly by the original owner, everything was worn out on the front by the big tires it had been running. (they were the first thing to go). After changing the track bar, steering box, front wheel bearing assemblies and the tie rods. By the way I swapped the tie rods to the chassis cab style. They go from knuckle to knuckle with a one piece heavy tie rod assembly, then have a drag link coming down from the steer box. Any way mine still did not want to steer straight down the road. It was within specs on the machine. So the second time around at the alignment shop I had them put some additional caster in. It helped quite a bit.

Comment

The alignment adjustment numbers when the truck is on the alignment machine are not the same as when the truck is pulling and carrying a load.

Go to http://www.texaspowerwagon.com/front_end_align.htm for a discussion.

The bottom line is that most hitches for gooseneck or fifth wheel trailers do not place enough of the load on the front axle.

It's not uncommon here in Texas to see a Dodge pickup pulling a gooseneck cattle trailer loaded to a GCVW approaching 40,000 pounds by virtue of having farm plates. With that much excess weight, there is a lot more weight on the front axle. Most trips are relatively short - ranch to auction - and the "light front axle load" problem seems to be less noticed.

The mechanics at my dealer have received most complaints from owners of Dodge trucks who pull loads less than the factory recommended maximum weights.

The is one condition I have found to be common to every "death wobble" occurrence I have ever had - new trucks or any of my 60 year old trucks, restored or unrestored ones - and that is not having the tires inflated up to maximum ratings even when the truck is not carrying the maximum load.

Comment

One thing I forgot to note with my 96's wandering issues was that when I put my cab over camper on it the truck was rock solid no wander at all. So I'm guessing squatting the back down with the weight increased my caster, that's why I asked the shop to increase the caster beyond there specs a small amount.

Comment

I have a 99. To fix the steering problems I've installed a DT profab track bar and a Steering stablizer ( the stabilizer gives additional support to the steering box.

Alignment is very important shoot for these specs
            Setting Left Wheel Right Wheel

Caster 3.2° 3.5°
            Camber -0.10° -0.10°
            Cross Caster -0.3°
            Cross Camber 0.0°
            Toe Standard specs, (maybe a little out if you tow a lot, they will pull in as the front end lifts up).

specs are from http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/00_steer_specs.html

These are the specs I take with me to the alignment shop.

Trevor

Comment

Working...
            X