No announcement yet.

Alt. Current from 120 amp nippondenso?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alt. Current from 120 amp nippondenso?

Prestolite tells me I can use the A.C. pick off the 120 alternator to drive my old motorola tach. I have internal regulator and only 4 terminals.
    2 Field, 12 volts out and ground. Can anyone tell me where the a.c. is?

The diode set in the alternator "convert" the AC to DC. So I'd think you need to connect to the input side of the diode set.

Comment

a.c. output

The regulator is internal so I guess all else is inside as well.
      If I send you photo or schematic can you point out the pickup point.
      Electromechanical is as for as I go on my own.
      Solid state and etc is blakc boxes to me.
      Thanks, Sandee

Comment

Even if you find it you're going to have to make that frequency match your tach. Either a freq to freq converter or freq to analog one? Depends on what the alternator puts out and what the tach accepts.

Comment

Frequency vs RPM etc.

Kevin,
          is my son's name too.
          The nice lady at Prestolite told me the tach adjustment was capable of matching the output to the RPM subject to the Alternator to crank pulley ratio. She recognized my tach but; I did not think to tell her I had a Nippondesno alternator. Of course she deals with Prestolite who now own Motorola so. . .? If I get any lead I will follow to success or burn through.
          I am on the rev limiter at 60 mph and want the info for new ring & pinion.
          Thanks,
          Sandee

Comment

Motorola Tach and Nippondenso Alternator

Sorry I've been absent but arthritis affected my priorities.
            I am still trying to find Alternating current at my Nippondenso.
            I helpped a friend put a 5.9 Turbo Cummins & trans in a 1978 Dodge van.
            It was tight but fits nice and runs good. The engine was from a 1989 and a Honda intercooler was added. It has no muffler but is not too loud.
            It also has a GEARVENDORS overdrive behind the 3 speed. THe van is now worth almost as much as the drive train. We be cool if not too $ bright.

Comment

We drive electric tachs via the alternator on our Cummins repowers. The units are either Delco or Bosch. They are furnished with a terminal designed for a tach drive. It is half the output of the alternator, which is 6 volts on a 12 volt unit, or around 7.5 volts from a charging alternator. Not all units are equipped with an external terminal for the 1/2 voltage output. If yours is not, then you will have to open it up and install a lead so you can pick up 1/2 voltage, run the lead outside the case at any convenient opening, then hook that to the tach lead wire, should get you going. I'm not familiar with the internals of a Nippendenso, but you should be able to figure it out without a great deal of trouble. The tach should have a calibration screw for fine tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by sandeewebb View Post
                Sorry I've been absent but arthritis affected my priorities.
                I am still trying to find Alternating current at my Nippondenso.
                I helpped a friend put a 5.9 Turbo Cummins & trans in a 1978 Dodge van.
                It was tight but fits nice and runs good. The engine was from a 1989 and a Honda intercooler was added. It has no muffler but is not too loud.
                It also has a GEARVENDORS overdrive behind the 3 speed. THe van is now worth almost as much as the drive train. We be cool if not too $ bright.
                We must have some pretty good suspension under the front of that van.....
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Nippondenso Alt. Current.

Thanks for the help. I had trouble figuring out how to reply.
                  If it goes well I will send photo or diagram.
                  Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
                  We drive electric tachs via the alternator on our Cummins repowers. The units are either Delco or Bosch. They are furnished with a terminal designed for a tach drive. It is half the output of the alternator, which is 6 volts on a 12 volt unit, or around 7.5 volts from a charging alternator. Not all units are equipped with an external terminal for the 1/2 voltage output. If yours is not, then you will have to open it up and install a lead so you can pick up 1/2 voltage, run the lead outside the case at any convenient opening, then hook that to the tach lead wire, should get you going. I'm not familiar with the internals of a Nippendenso, but you should be able to figure it out without a great deal of trouble. The tach should have a calibration screw for fine tuning.

Comment

Cummins +AT+Gearvendors in 78 Dodge

I was surprised because the 5.9 + RH45 we put in the 72 commander flattened the springs and I had to add 2 leaves each and have a rebend.
                    This "VAN" was actually a B300 Cutaway/ Flatbed for a 5th wheel.
                    I figure the Cummins+AT+Gearvendors must have added 400-500 pounds.
                    The thing didn't even squat. Not as smart as I think I am?
                    Thanks for your interest.

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                    We must have some pretty good suspension under the front of that van.....

Comment

Working...
                    X