ford 6.9L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ford 6.9L

Just courious, has anybody ever fit a ford 6.9l in a PW? This brainstorm has probably been visited by someone.I was thinking if a 350 chevy fits maybe
    one of these would. Thanks, Lex

If it's non-turbo it might but then they're a dog and you're better off with something else. You might have problems fitting the turbo if it is turbocharged. Problem I would worry about is weight. The 4BT is heavier than the stock 6 cylinder and requires some front suspension mods to work right. What does one of those engines weigh?

Comment

Originally posted by Lex A Price View Post
      Just courious, has anybody ever fit a ford 6.9l in a PW? This brainstorm has probably been visited by someone.I was thinking if a 350 chevy fits maybe
      one of these would. Thanks, Lex
      I thought about the same using a 7.3L/E4OD that I have and posted something a year or so back. Didn't get any positive responses, most centered on the fact that I wanted to put a Ford motor in a Dodge - How dare I! In theory I don't see why it couldn't be done althought I haven't taken a tape measure the the engine compartmment of my M43 yet (too many projects, too little time).

Comment

Don't feel too bad about using a Ford motor, I'm using one in my M37 - just happens to be a '69 428 CJ instead of a diesel. The nice thing about a turbo is that in reality, you can place it almost anywhere - it dosen't "have to go" right at the exhaust manifold. I've seen hotrods and other performance cars with the turbo mounted well under the car, almost behind the transmission, and over the rear diff. All it means is that you may suffer a little turbo lag, but the performance will still show up.

The 6.9L, even as a dog, is still vastly superior to the Flat 6. I can't imagine that the truck would have any less performance than the Ford truck that the diesel came out of... As for weight, whats the real issue? These trucks are heavy anyway - another 300lbs or so won't make a real difference. Put another leaf in the pack or so and make the adjustments as neccessary.

I say go for it. Just make sure you've got all the parts and measurments beforhand.

Comment

the 'ford' diesels were made by Navistar (IH) anyways
          I have driven a few non turbo 6.9 and 7.3 trucks... that engine would have no problem hauling a PW around.

Comment

Always thought the 300 cu in Ford six (gas) might be a nice fit for a PW.

Comment

You can install anything you desire, bar none with enough time and $$$ invested. The best bang for the buck if you plan to drive your truck is a Cummins 4BTA, with a 5-speed over-drive trans behind it. Fits nicely without mods, and still have access room for service under the hood. Weight is a minimal issue. Fuel economy when compared to the flat 6, a V8 gasser or diesel is way better. The Cummins has power and torque to spare in a PW application. We have installed many, you simply can't beat it.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
                You can install anything you desire, bar none with enough time and $$$ invested. The best bang for the buck if you plan to drive your truck is a Cummins 4BTA, with a 5-speed over-drive trans behind it. Fits nicely without mods, and still have access room for service under the hood. Weight is a minimal issue. Fuel economy when compared to the flat 6, a V8 gasser or diesel is way better. The Cummins has power and torque to spare in a PW application. We have installed many, you simply can't beat it.
                I may have asked this in the past, forgive me if I have....

Charles, is there a newer version of the 4BT that is quieter in the way the 2003 and up 6BT's are quieter?
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                  I may have asked this in the past, forgive me if I have....

Charles, is there a newer version of the 4BT that is quieter in the way the 2003 and up 6BT's are quieter?
                  The newer version is not a BT or BTA. The 4 cylinder is now an all electronic engine, QSB 4.5, the 6 cylinder all electronic is the QSB 6.7. These are quieter, with less low RPM vibration also. We are currently doing a QSB in a M37.

The BT and BTA engines will not meet the new EPA regulations coming into effect Jan. 2010. They will not be offered by Cummins as a new engine after the end of this year in the USA. Recon models will still be available, but will require either a core engine turn in or pay a $2,200 core charge in addition to the base price at the time of purchase.

Comment

The newer version is not a BT or BTA. The 4 cylinder is now an all electronic engine, QSB 4.5, the 6 cylinder all electronic is the QSB 6.7. These are quieter, with less low RPM vibration also. We are currently doing a QSB in a M37.
                    Look forward to hearing how that turns out. I'm hoping to be ready for an engine by the end of next year or so, and unless I find a good used 4BT or a cheap one for a core the QSB may be the only realistic route.

Comment

The BT and BTA engines will not meet the new EPA regulations coming into effect Jan. 2010. They will not be offered by Cummins as a new engine after the end of this year in the USA. Recon models will still be available, but will require either a core engine turn in or pay a $2,200 core charge in addition to the base price at the time of purchase.
                      It would be interesting to learn more about the new engine and your views on it.

Comment

Also, is this engine larger and heavier than the 4BT?

Comment

Working...
                        X