2001 Cummins 6BTA Take-Out's For Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Cummins 6BTA Take-Out's For Sale

There's a local company here that runs a fleet of small buses that transport handi-capped folks & they are switching from the current Cummins engines to the new Mercedes 5cyl diesels.
    They say it's for fuel economy reasons but that just doesn't make sense?
    Anyway, they are low mileage take-outs that were removed by Detroit Diesel(they got the contract) & are available for purchase at $1900ea. I'm told they are doing 12 of them.
    They did 12 a few months back & all 12 engines were bought by a company in Calgary, Alberta. They intend to buy these 12 as well but we do a lot of business with Detroit Diesel & I can get one or all 12 if anyone wants one.
    No profit to me...I'm just passing on the info & would set you up directly with DD.

I'm not in the market for 6BTA's right now, and I'm on the wrong side of the continent for these anyway, but...

Frieghtliner owns Thomas Built Buses (NC Company that builds a lot of school buses). Thomas Built used to use a lot of different bus chasis from International, Chevy, and Ford but it seems that they use Frieghtliner chasis on everything these days... The engine of choice for these chasis has been the 6BTA or ISB5.9-xx

Freightliner is owned by Daimler-Chrylser. A recent article in one of the fleet magazines that we get at work mentioned that they were testing some buses in the Charlotte, NC, area school districts that had been powered with a Mercedes Benz (there is that same corporate parent D-C...) diesels. Freightliner has a chasis plant in this area as well as one for the OTR trucks, Thomas Built is just up the road, so it makes sense to be testing them in Charlotte, since they also have a presence in Portland (offices, plants), it makes sense to involve that area as well.

Detroit Diesel is also part of the D-C familly... The MB engines are shown on their website along side of the "traditional" DD lines.

It makes a lot of sense to vertically integrate all the components in a vehicle. It may be that they are trying to get some more MB engines out in the field before making a big push to switch over on the new production bus chasis...

Comment

I'm not even sure what they call this engine...where the engines in 2000 & 2001 ISB5.9's or 6BTA's?
      Anyway, I just thought if someone was looking for an engine or wanted to make some money...this just ended last night & it's identical to the ones coming out-
      Cummins On Ebay

Comment

Marty,
        ISB's are the new HO Cummins that debuted in 2002. Same line as the new Cummins 600. I do not know what the called the 1st generation 5.9 (12v) or the 2nd generation (24v).
        Maybe the TDR will have that info?
        $1,900 is a dang (can we say dang here???) good price!
        I think the 5 cyl. is the Sprinter motor??

MN

Comment

Norm, That's what I thought.
          89-92 were called 6BT...in 93 they were after cooled & so they became 6BTA.
          I guess that's what they call all of them up until 2002 but from 1994-2002.5 they are more commonly refered to as Second Gen engines....1994-1998.5 being the most highly sought after because the P7100 injection pump("P" pump) is considered the best, most powerful & bulletproof of all year Cummins engines.
          I'm considering installing one on my truck but it's a very expensive conversion. Just the pump is over $3000US.
          I just went for a ride in a First Generation truck like mine running the P pump & running twin turbo's....700HP to the rear wheels Norman!
          I'm speachless!
          I'll leave it at that...need to change my shorts!

Comment

And I bet...

....it got 23 mpg at the same time!! ha!ha!ha!
            So the designation has nothing to do with the pump, number of valves or turbo???? Then my 2002 is a 6BTA since the cab/chassis did not change to the common rail ISB with the rest of the 2002's. And CA didn't get the HO ISB until 2003.
            MN
            Last edited by MoparNorm; 02-07-2004, 01:51 AM.

Comment

I guess that's correct...I'm not really up on the newest Cummins engines.
              I have a 2001 engine with a 47RE sitting in my shop & I'd hazzard a guess that it's identical to your set-up in the 02 Cab & Chassis.

Comment

So which one of your 34 truck projects is getting the repower?
                Ha! ha!
                MN

Comment

Norm,
                  Believe it or not I was going to throw a Dana 60 out of a 89-93 Cummins in the front of the D300 crew cab I bought from Joe Carter off your forum. Then I was going to adapt the Cummins & 47RE.
                  I was looking at different ways to make the 47RE work but it may very well be easiest to run a 47RH or get the electronic components in the RE converted to mechanical.
                  The reason I wanted to stick with the RE is that it's only got 30,000 miles on it!
                  I have the transfercase too but I'll likely sell it & use an NP205 out of a First Gen truck...front end is on the rh side on the Dana 60 I want to use.
                  At this point it's all subject to change.
                  Almost not worth it since the 383 in the D300 gets almost the same mileage as that 01 Cummins running light. Ha Ha!

Comment

The Cummins gets 8 mpg?? ha!ha! DON'T START that again!!
                    ha!
                    MN

Comment

Marty, are these the computer controlled engine? For $1900 are you getting computer and harness also? Is it a manual or automatic trans vehicle?
                      Thanks

Randy

Comment

Randy,
                        Yes, These are computer controlled & they are automatic.
                        I have talked to Cummins about this & if a guy were wanting to run a manual transmission they re-flash the ECM & then it will run manual.
                        They come with the ECM.

Comment

Working...
                        X