1997 Dodge diesel Steering Stabilizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Dodge diesel Steering Stabilizer

I have a 97 that the steering wanders, have posted this on here a couple of times, have replace everything on the front end and still wanders. Does anybody think it would make any difference if I added a dual stabilzer. I was thinking of purchasing the superlift kit, and the only other thing never replaced is the shocks I was thinking of putting on superlift shocks to match. Truck is factory height not lifted at all. any input would be appreciated as always. thanks

I'm not familiar with your earlier post's on this problem,but dual steering stabilizers won't help much with steering wonder. Shimmy.? Maybe,but it's a band-aide at best.
    Wonder is mostly caused by worn ball joints,worn track bar bushings, or spring pins/bushings, shackle pins/bushings,wheel bearing,loose steering box,worn steering box,worn tie rod ends.
    Wore out front shocks.
    Also in extreme cases, frame flex due to loose cross member rivets .
    These cause's also contribute to shimmy(death wobble).
    TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

I have replaced the wheel brgs, ball joints, steering box, installed a new lukes link kit in the track bar, and have on new tires. The alighment has been checked and is correct. This problem needs to go away soon or the truck will. Really tired of spending money and not fixing the problem.

Comment

I can appreciate your frustration.
        This must be a 3/4 ton?
        Since you have obviously covered everything the only suggestion I can offer is the
        Steering shaft stabilizer kit offered aftermarket.
        Can't recall the name right now ,but I'm thinking the one were you add a cross member that supports the pitman arm shaft through a bearing arrangement. Familiar with it?
        Have heard good results from it but I have not tried it myself.
        The next suggestion would be the cross over steering linkage if applicable to your truck.
        I'm not sure which year or model 1/2 and 3/4 tons benefit from that up grade.
        My 99 3500 has cross over steering and so far I have no steering issues.
        TGP
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

I have used one of those crossmember kits to no help. where in the world would I find a cross steering kit? I have a 97 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel. Ran a cross these kits on the web anybody ever used them. http://bulletproofsteering.com/dodgepricingoptions.html
          http://www.thurenfabrication.com/crossover.html

Comment

What kind of tires you have? In what shape?

I've had a set of mud tires that they wore out to a point it produced heavy shimming at certain speeds.

I would try to rotate them with the rear ones to see if there's a change.

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 98 2500. As it was still under warranty about, 40k on the clock, the dealer replaced nearly my entire front end only to find afterwards that the tires (stock) were over inflated. Some times its the little thing that get ya.

Comment

Fig8rcr,
                I have a 1996 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel 4x4. The first timeI had the death wobble it was very scary. I run LT 255/85 R 16 Cooper ST tires I rotate every 5000 miles when I change oil. I have 55psi in all tires running empty. When I had the Death wobble the first thing I changed was my shocks. I went with Bilstein Shocks and a Monroe steering stabilizer. It got rid of the Death wobble. That was at 40,000 miles.
                As for the wandering when you have front end aligned have your alignment man add more castor to the front end. I have not had this done, I read about it several years ago in the Turbo Dielel Registry. The article talked about add ing more castor to help the wheels return to center. Too much castor also puts more strain on your wheel bearings.
                My truck today with 264,000 miles on it still wanders some. It is not noticable on a flat road, but on a road with a more pronouned crown in it you will notice it.
                Rich Szklany

Comment

Working...
                X