Helitool conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helitool conversion

I have a 48 b1pw that now has a 72 w200 engine trans and transfer case with a 3/4 ton centered rear axle housing. It has the 72 power steering pump and the helitool power brake booster. The engine is a 360 with a two barrel holly and headers.

The pto works off the transfer case as would a w200 and the ring and pinion will be 489 with rear lockers. It has the helitool hanging pedals with the hydraulic clutch. The drivelines are all done and in place,including the pto, and the goal is to have 4 wheel disc brakes.

the accessories include original driving lights,window wash system with glass water jar, cigar lighter, guide 1940's arrow turn indicator lights front and rear, bulb type chrome 'mopar' spotlights matching left and right, original chrome pickup bed light, factory dual gas tanks with l/r ports.

The truck is about 3/4 done, still needs paint and small amount of bodywork. it will be green with black fenders. not sure which green, as the dash is currently submarine sea green.

The goal is 100% original look pw with restomod drivetrain . I 'm interested in communicating with anyone who has already done this and is driving theirs. According to dave cirello the pw should do 65.7 mph@3000 rpm's
    Last edited by Gordon Maney; 08-02-2010, 02:27 PM.

you need to check transmission

i did a helitool conversion in my m37 using a high performance 360 out of a little red express truck. 489s, 11.00 x 16 radials, disc brakes, stock transfer and transmission. the truck had gobs of power, but would gear out before top speed could be comfortably reached. you need an overdrive trans and possibly a np201 transfercase. running the 200 transfer,even off the center line is the weak link. properly set up, a 200 will take the heat and speed for a while. if i didnt sell, i was planning on a 3 speed stax transfer that high, low and overdrive. best of all worlds. i think they stopped offering that configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by mannyc View Post
      i did a helitool conversion in my m37 using a high performance 360 out of a little red express truck. 489s, 11.00 x 16 radials, disc brakes, stock transfer and transmission. the truck had gobs of power, but would gear out before top speed could be comfortably reached. you need an overdrive trans and possibly a np201 transfercase. running the 200 transfer,even off the center line is the weak link. properly set up, a 200 will take the heat and speed for a while. if i didnt sell, i was planning on a 3 speed stax transfer that high, low and overdrive. best of all worlds. i think they stopped offering that configuration.
      Would you be willing to put something together about your truck, for the magazine? I am also looking for feature trucks, but your truck would make a great article. You can write to me at the contact us link below....
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Helitool conversion

Hi gordon, believe it or not i have followed pwa since 1984 i have the very first issue. I bought my first powerwagon in 1975 and first was bitten in 1972 when i first saw a 68 wm300. My career kept me out of active participation with the hobby but i semi retired in oct09. I have the 48 and also an early wc53 with 14000 orig miles. I've always wanted a v8 flat fender as i live in reno/tahoe area and the altitude here is 4400-6800 msl. So flatheads dont work here well unless just parade vehicles[the wc53} to answer your question if you were asking me{or mannyc} iwould love to do an story although the 48 is not done yet. The target date is july 31st 2011 cause our annual reno event ---hot august nights- is happening and i want it ready,let me know what you want-steve

Comment

Originally posted by 360V8PW View Post
          Hi gordon, believe it or not i have followed pwa since 1984 i have the very first issue. I bought my first powerwagon in 1975 and first was bitten in 1972 when i first saw a 68 wm300. My career kept me out of active participation with the hobby but i semi retired in oct09. I have the 48 and also an early wc53 with 14000 orig miles. I've always wanted a v8 flat fender as i live in reno/tahoe area and the altitude here is 4400-6800 msl. So flatheads dont work here well unless just parade vehicles[the wc53} to answer your question if you were asking me{or mannyc} iwould love to do an story although the 48 is not done yet. The target date is july 31st 2011 cause our annual reno event ---hot august nights- is happening and i want it ready,let me know what you want-steve
          That is really neat that you have been with the magazine the whole time. Congratulations!

It would be wonderful if you would do an article. Articles don't have to be on complete vehicles, they can be on work that makes up part of a restoration or truck project.

Thank you for writing!
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

360v8pw

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            That is really neat that you have been with the magazine the whole time. Congratulations!

It would be wonderful if you would do an article. Articles don't have to be on complete vehicles, they can be on work that makes up part of a restoration or truck project.

Thank you for writing!
            Hi gordon, I've written a bit about the 48 restomod conversion, I just need to get some pictures and I'll submit it for your review.-Steve

Comment

72 W200 transmission

What transmission is that? You definately want 4:89"s and an overdrive transmission. You will thank yourself later.

Comment

Originally posted by 360V8PW View Post
                Hi Steve!

I wonder if you would clarify your statement of poor flathead performance at elevation. (altitude is the distance above sea level while airborne).

My truck (GUS) is a daily driver at 6200', here in Cheyenne. On weekends it runs up to 9500', just west of town. I regularly wheel beteen 9,500' and 11,000+' on various mountains throughout Colorado. GUS was the only flathead present at the 2009 RMHC Rondezvous, and we drove up 14,269' Mt Antero. Our group had to stop at the end of the road, at an elevation of 13,765'.

GUS' power plant is a 230 flathead, stock, with the exceptions of full flow oil filtration, a Carter 413-S carb with a K&N filter, and is bored .030 over...

C.D.
                1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                1954 Ford 860 tractor
                1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Flathead

hi CHEYENNE DAVE, SORRY FOR THE LOG HIATTIS BUT WE HAD SEVERAL DEATHS IN OUR FAMILY AND I HAVE NOT LOGGED ON FOR A WHILE. TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION; I DID'NT SAY A 230 WOULD'NT WORK ,IT JUST SUCKS AT ALTITUDE WITH ANY KIND OF WEIGHT ON BOARD LIKE WOOD,AND IF YOU HAVE 583'S YOUR SCREWED UNLESS YOU LIKE 25 MPH ,AND EVERYTHING RATTLING.IT'LL GO,JUST SLOW.YOU CAN HOP UP A FLATHEAD AND CHANGE THE RING AND PINION PUT ON DUEL CARBS ,SHAVE THE HEADS AND PAY 2000.00 DOLLARS TO GAIN 25 HP AND STAY ORIGINAL OR YOU CAN DO WHAT I DID ,FIND A 3/4 W200 POWERWAGON DONER TRUCK ,BUY A HELITOOL CONVERSION KIT AND HAVE 300 HP, SYNCRO TRANNY, MODERN TRANSFER CASE, POWER STEERING,489'S AND THEN TAKE TO 13000 PLUS FEET AGL AND SEE WHICH ONE YOU LIKE BETTER.BOTH WILL WORK,I CHOOSE THE LATTER.KEEP ON PW-ING-STEVE

Comment

Working...
                  X