No announcement yet.

EGT Values What is normal or too high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGT Values What is normal or too high?

My little ISB170 is making what I believe to be too much EGT way too easily. A 3/4 throttle pull from 45 mph to 70 mph and I have to ease down to 1/2 throttle because the EGT wants to ramp to 1250 degrees coming through the 60 mph mark. It takes a minute to climb and runs 1050 or so for the first part of the pull, despite being under harder throttle, but then it surges again and wants to run on up until I let out of it. I am wondering if maybe I am heat soaking my intercooler? The intake horn is above my manifold so it is also possible that I am glowing the manifold and then it sucks up that hot air and soaks out my intercooler, which then takes out my boost efficiency. I kind of want to put a temp gauge for my intake air temp to see what it is doing.
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

All I know is what I read over on the 4BT forums which mostly agreed to start worrying once you get up above 1200 degrees. I will say that my 4BT rarely goes over 800 degrees, and around 1000 is probably the highest I've seen, but my setup is so different from yours that I rarely get a serious load on the motor at my more limited road speeds.

Comment

This may be a good question to reach out to Mr Minninger on. Hey may have ran into this issue.
      1967 W200.aka.Hank
      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I moved the intake horn over to the other side of the engine bay and dropped EGT temps by about 100 to 150 degrees and the truck seems even MORE powerful than before. There is something just weird about running 65 mph in a WWII truck, with all of the noise, squeeks, rattles, etc, and being able to lay lightly into the throttle and it effortlessly runs up to 75 mph. Anything over that and I can tell the truck is work hard. It really does cruise most comfortably at 60 mph, which is perfect for the route I plan on spending the most time on, which is Route 168 into the Outer Banks, or Route 58 headed west to the mountains.

I also discovered that my boost gauge had been stuck. It WAS building more than 10 psi, but the needle was hanging up... uggh. Free that up with a few blasts of shop air and now I can easily watch it run to 22 to 25 psi on a good well timed launch. STILL have a slight noise from the driveline / transmission but it only shows up when everything warms up. Not really sure what to think about it. The transmission fluid isn't aerated or anything based on my sight tube. So I don't know. I put about 75 miles on it yesterday running errands as I took the day off for "mental health reasons".

I need to close in my center console finally and look into putting some heat coatings on the floor panels because its getting TOO warm to drive that thing with the floor open the way it is.

Comment

you running any kind of heat shield or defectors around your exhaust? I tossed in a couple above the pipe and the floor is much cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
            you running any kind of heat shield or defectors around your exhaust? I tossed in a couple above the pipe and the floor is much cooler.
            The header and down pipe are wrapped, actually double wrapped, but I don't have any heat shields installed just yet. I did go ahead and finish routing my air intake to the other side of the engine compartment and it appears to have dropped my EGTs by about 100 to 150 degrees. I can't get them over 1200 to 1250 now even matted on a hard pull for a long duration so I guess I somewhat fixed it. I have the heat tape to apply and some heat pads as well but won't do that until I start painting things.

Comment

Working...
            X