CAT Diesel engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAT Diesel engines

I found a running Cat 1160 Diesel, with a Spicer model 6852 transmission hooked on to it. It;s a 5 speed, and it's all out of a 1970 Gillig School bus with a single speed rear axle. I'm thinking the transmission is a OD 5th but I dont know for sure. Any big truck guy's have any idea?
    Also, The 1160 is the same engine as the 3208, it just has a different front cover (that's what I'm told anyways). Could I put a Turbo off a 3208T on the 1160 for normal operation without having to worry about melting the pistons?
    I'm thinking about putting this whole power plant in a W300 or W500.

From what I remember this is the earlier 3208 . I think this has to be a turbo block to work , something to do with either oil supply or return ?? I'm not sure . I'll bet if u find an old diesel mechanic he'd know the answers to all your questions .

Comment

I am a little rusty on my knowledge of Cat diesels. however, I seem to remember that the 3208 was, and is, a "throwaway "engine. If it has any problems, you toss it and get a new engine. Rebuilding is not a viable option. If I am right about this, then I would recommend you not waste much money getting it running good.

Comment

Cat

Jonas, Do you know what it weighs? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx.
          I am a little rusty on my knowledge of Cat diesels. however, I seem to remember that the 3208 was, and is, a "throwaway "engine. If it has any problems, you toss it and get a new engine. Rebuilding is not a viable option. If I am right about this, then I would recommend you not waste much money getting it running good.
          Actually, that is how they originally intended them, but then rebuild parts became available, produced by aftermarket suppliers. They can be rebuilt.

I have a subscriber who owns a CAT dealership, I have sent him an e-mail about this question; we will see if he answers. I am not sure if he is registered on the forums.

At the Iowa rally, a Larry Cook, from Texas, brought a W300 powered by a 3208 CAT. A great truck.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Hi Jonas!

The Spicer 6852G is not overdrive. Ratios are 6.70 - 3.52 - 1.97 - 1.17 - 1.00, with 6.72 reverse, no synchro on 1st gear.

JimmieD

Comment

3208 CAT

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx.
              You are in my opinion correct on this being a throw away engine. I had one in a 613 Cat pan, never was a favorite of mine. I think that engine was created in haste because of what the competition had coming, the GM 8.2, Cummins 903. All these engines are now obsolete, haven't been built for years. The Cat & Cummins were the better of the lot, but that doesn't say much. International had the 466 coming at the same time, an in line 6. That was the cream of the crop in the medium diesel line at that time. I had several 466's, one of the best I ever had in every respect. They had no competition till the B series Cummins came along years later. The 466 is still the better when you consider rebuilding options as it's a sleeved engine.

Comment

Working...
              X