Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cummins won't start after fuel filter change....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cummins won't start after fuel filter change....

I have a 2001 Dodge with a Cummins, and just changed the fuel filter in the same fashion I have before. I removed the filter, cleaned the housing, and filled the housing before putting the filter in. Other times I have done this it worked OK. The truck has been running just fine up until now.

Tonight I had changed oil, started the engine to check for leaks, and then did the filter. The odd thing is that it did not even try. No sign of life.

I did the bump the starter thing to see if I could hear the lift pump, I could hear it, and it seemed to run fuel over the top. I say seemed, as there is fuel on the floor from when I overflowed the housing previously.

How can I fix this? Thoughts from those with experience in such circumstances would be greatly appreciated.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Gordon
    has your lift pump been replaced? I wonder if it is getting weak and that is part of the problem.
    Last month I noticed my truck was gradually starting to start less quickly... needed to crank longer. Also I started to see it hesitate occasionally on acceleration.
    My warantee was set to go out DEC 31 or so (My truck was put in service Jan '01 and warantee on engine is 5 years). I took the truck in and they said the lift pump was starting to "go", and put a new one "back at the fuel tank". All was covered cost wise. This fix corrected what I had been noticing with poor fuel delivery.

Comment

The lift pump is original.

I did get it to run. I cracked three injector fittings, then cranked in bursts until fuel appeared at one, then at another, and then at a third, as it tried to start. I tightened it, and then after three more stumbles, it started.

There is a lot of discussion on TDR about all of this lift pump stuff. I don't know if they still sell the old kind of lift pump, or only the one that goes in the tank.

I would like to do something about that, and also install some gauges.

Comment

The dealer service advisor said to me that all the replacements they have done for some time have been to put the new one at the tank...they are not replacing the ones on the engine anymore. On the TDR it has been said that the engine vibration shortened their life so they needed to be taken off the engine.
        I don't know if your warantee is still in effect, but the dealer could check your fuel pressure to the injector pump and see if you are getting adequate flow from the lift pump. I think that is how they diagnosed a weak one in my case.

Comment

I forgot to mention that a failing lift pump can cause the injector pump to fail from fuel starvation. A new or rebuilt injector pump is very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave
            I forgot to mention that a failing lift pump can cause the injector pump to fail from fuel starvation. A new or rebuilt injector pump is very expensive.
            Yes, that is the scary part for me. I need to check with the dealer where I bought this to see if they will test it for me.

Comment

Fuel Filter install tip

My 2001 Dodge Dsl Wrecker now has 72k mi on it. The first couple times I changed the cartridge fuel filter I also had problems with hard initial start even though I would fill the canister with fresh dsl fuel + bumped the starter a few times to run the electric fuel pump. I now soak the new filter in fuel for a few minutes before dropping it into a filled canister + have good initial start up

Comment

Re: Fuel Filter install tip

Originally posted by # 1 METALMAN
                My 2001 Dodge Dsl Wrecker now has 72k mi on it. The first couple times I changed the cartridge fuel filter I also had problems with hard initial start even though I would fill the canister with fresh dsl fuel + bumped the starter a few times to run the electric fuel pump. I now soak the new filter in fuel for a few minutes before dropping it into a filled canister + have good initial start up
                Good idea...... thank you, and good to hear from you.

Are you filling the canister completely, and overflowing it when you put the filter in, or are you filling it less so that when you put the element in, the level just rises to the top?

In my struggle to get it going, I ran the housing over and got diesel under the hood to such a degree that the smell of it is somehow getting into the cab. I washed the engine and it is better, but still somewhat evident.

Comment

Mopar Norm had a line on an industrial strength citrus-based cleaner that might solve the odor problem? He's probably out in the back yard working on his tan or taking a dip in the pool, but maybe if he comes in he'll reply.....

Comment

fuel filter

I fill canister with fuel then drop filter in forcefully with one hand + have the cover in other hand. as filter goes in canister, fuel is displaced . I catch displaced fuel with drain pail then dispose all used oil,fluids,drained fuel in my waste oil furnace oil tank

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD
                      Mopar Norm had a line on an industrial strength citrus-based cleaner that might solve the odor problem? He's probably out in the back yard working on his tan or taking a dip in the pool, but maybe if he comes in he'll reply.....
                      He's not joking! It was a Christmas pool party!
                      Gordon, the cleaner is Oil-Eater, it's sold at Costco and other outlets, possibly even Wal-Mart.
                      MN

Comment

Gordon,
                        Your symptoms are the same as my 2001 Dodge/Cummins had at about 35,000 miles. I took it to the dealer for an oil change, (they were running a special at a very low price), and told them to also change the fuel filter. When they did, the truck would not restart. turned out the boost pump was going bad, and was not pumping enough fuel. They fixed it under warranty.
                        Another symptom it had, which I later found out was related, was as follows: When pulling away from a stop light with a loaded trailer, I could feel a very slight surging. After you got up to speed, and backed off the throttle, it smoothed out. The dealer told me this was because the injector pump was starving for fuel when the truck was pulling hard.

Comment

Last time I changed the fuel filter in my '97 powerstroke I left the cover a bit too loose and it sprayed that wonderful smelling diesel fuel all over my engine compartment. I used Gunk brand engine degreaser and it worked great. The foamy kind doesn't work any better but you can see where you have already sprayed better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx.
                            Gordon,
                            Your symptoms are the same as my 2001 Dodge/Cummins had at about 35,000 miles. I took it to the dealer for an oil change, (they were running a special at a very low price), and told them to also change the fuel filter. When they did, the truck would not restart. turned out the boost pump was going bad, and was not pumping enough fuel. They fixed it under warranty.
                            Another symptom it had, which I later found out was related, was as follows: When pulling away from a stop light with a loaded trailer, I could feel a very slight surging. After you got up to speed, and backed off the throttle, it smoothed out. The dealer told me this was because the injector pump was starving for fuel when the truck was pulling hard.
                            As soon as I can free up some time [see thread on not getting any better than this in off topic forum....] I am going to explore the various solutions that seem to exist with regard to replacing or augmenting the lift pump.

Comment

my electric lift pump was also replaced under warantty back in 03 at around 32k.now at 73k I think I will look into putting a new one on or at least into stock.I keep a spare fuel pump + filter in stock or stashed in a oiled plastic bag in my wrecker ,Roll back + 50 Ford tudor + 51 Ply Business coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X