Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer, if necessary...So long Cummins 5.9

And Welcome Cummins 6.7!

ST. PETERSBURG, FL. Cummins gave reporters an overview of how its heavy- and medium-duty 2007 engines will differ from its current models as the engine maker prepares to roll out several “beta prototypes” to select truck manufacturers this month for final testing.

Jeff Weikert, executive director of mid range engineering, noted that the medium-duty product line for 2007 will include a new beefed-up 6.7-liter ISB, replacing the current 5.9-liter platform. The ’07 ISB will offer 325 hp and 750 lb-ft of torque – an improvement over current ISBs by 50 ponies and 90 lb-ft. He also said Cummins’ ISC (330 hp, 1,000 lb-ft of torque) and ISL (365 hp and 1,250 lb-ft of torque) will be equipped with the same exhaust gas recirculation technology (EGR) currently used on the ISB platform.

Weikert added that 170 beta prototypes of Cummins’ entire mid-range line are scheduled for production starting this month, with 150 earmarked for fleets in the U.S. and Canada and 20 for the engine maker's engineering research team. This follows 2.5-million miles of total medium- and heavy-duty ’07 engine testing that began in May 2005.

The 6.7 is already slated for the new 2007 Ram Chassis/Cab, orders are being taken, it's due in the Summer.

MN

Our Cummins Rep.

We were briefed by our Cummins rep. on the new 2007 equipment a few weeks ago. He will now be able to sell us the ISB all electronic 4 cylinder engines for the 1st time. A much quieter & more powerful engine than we could get in the past. Can't wait to transplant one in a power wagon or an M37, who wants the 1st one?

Comment

They've also been testing a 4.2 V-6 in the Dodge Dakota, gobs of torque and HP with 30 mpg range. I'd love to see that show up in the new 116" wheelbase Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 door.
      The future is diesel and the future is almost here!
      MN

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm
        I'd love to see that show up in the new 116" wheelbase Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 door.
        The future is diesel and the future is almost here!
        MN
        I don't know how much i could say,

There are also crazy jeeps with the steering wheel on the "righthand" side of the vehicle as well.... which basically means, they might be producing them for export only.

Comment

It would be interesting to know how much more fuel this larger engine will take.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Pieter, You can always e-mail me as an unidentifiable source...ha!ha!
            The VM Motori 3.0 diesel is in the Grand Cherokee, available only for export. The VM 2.8 diesel that is in the Liberty is also being put into the 2007 Wrangler, for export only at this time. My heart of hearts hopes that D/C is smart enough to know that this is the future here in the USA also and I hold out hope that the Wrangler will have either the 2.8 or 3.0 (the best of the two!) by the time the 2007 fuel standards kick in and the low sulfur fuel is available nation wide.
            The V-6, 3.0 is amazing, with only 182 cu. in. it puts out 247 HP @ 4,000 rpm and 369 lb. ft. of torque at 1800 rpm, a perfect Jeep motor at 580 lbs! Build it D/C and I will be the first in line!
            D/C completely misjudged diesel demand for the Liberty, projecting 5,000 units while selling over 10,000. That was with CA and 4 eastern states that copy CA emmission rules absent from the market. Selling in all 50 states would easily add another 25-30% to that sales figure. The cautious at D/C want the diesel market to grow before sticking their necks out, I think they should create the market by offering the motor (after all that is what marketing is all about!) Dodge took the lead with the Cummins and created a market, Jeep could do the same now with a diesel Wrangler/Liberty/Grand Cherokee and capture a larger market share while pushing both power AND fuel economy. I attended a Jeep Engineering forum a few years ago and after the forum Jeep engineers followed me out of the building to pick my brain a little more (I should have asked them for a job! ha!ha!) I hope that they have also listened to the thousands of requests for diesel motors that are on message boards and forums all over this country. The new diesels are clean, quiet, powerful and economical, it would be very sad if D/C passed up this opportunity, or worse yet, left the door open for the competition to grab a market that D/C should own. The time is right, fuel prices are not likely to go down anytime soon, how hard is it to make the argument for powerful, clean and fuel efficient diesel motors vs. tiny, high reving, low torque gas motors that are better suited for yugos? CAFE standards will continue to put pressure on the big gas V-8's that D/C is top heavy with right now, push the diesel and the consumer will come! Don't tease us with BlueTec and other excellent diesels earmarked for Europe, build them for here!
            MN

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney
              It would be interesting to know how much more fuel this larger engine will take.
              From all that I have read from Cummins, it is more fuel efficient than the 5.9. New technology applications and 2.5 million miles of testing to date.
              MN

Comment

Better

Originally posted by MoparNorm
                From all that I have read from Cummins, it is more fuel efficient than the 5.9. New technology applications and 2.5 million miles of testing to date.
                MN
                The common rail fuel system on the newer engines are more efficient & the engines run much quieter than did the previous models. The draw back with the all electronic computerized new models is the fact that when a problem comes up that can't be visually diagnosed as something very obvious, it will have to go back to a Cummins dealer (or someone equipped with the latest diagnostics) to be hooked up in order to tell want the problem is. This could be a costly towing bill if you are some distance from a service facility who has the proper equipment to do this. I'm sure it will become more common when the engines hit the road in some #'s, right now for us, it would be a 50 mile trip to Charlotte, N.C., Cummins Atlantic, Inc.

Comment

If my pocketbook could afford it and there was a diesel 4 door wrangler sold in the US, I would be very tempted to buy it. The Rubicon 4 door is one sweet looking truck, 4 wheel disc, a diesel.
                  I think it would be an awesome trail rig right off of the sales floor.
                  Even w/o the diesel, it will be awesome.

But then I would like a mega cab as well...

Some day...

Pieter

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert
                    The common rail fuel system on the newer engines are more efficient & the engines run much quieter than did the previous models. The draw back with the all electronic computerized new models is the fact that when a problem comes up that can't be visually diagnosed as something very obvious, it will have to go back to a Cummins dealer (or someone equipped with the latest diagnostics) to be hooked up in order to tell want the problem is. This could be a costly towing bill if you are some distance from a service facility who has the proper equipment to do this. I'm sure it will become more common when the engines hit the road in some #'s, right now for us, it would be a 50 mile trip to Charlotte, N.C., Cummins Atlantic, Inc.
                    All new Dodge trucks come with "Chrysler Care" free roadside assistance for the first 12 months, plus I have AAA. I've never used it for my Dodge or my Jeeps, but it's peace of mind. I also bought my Ram when they offered a 7 year-100,000 miles warantee. The truck is so trouble free that I forgot where the battery was once when a guy needed a jump. (it's on both sides!)
                    When I had my ferd I knew where everything was under the hood, as I was under the hood about 3 times a day.....ha!ha!
                    MN

Comment

Originally posted by pieter
                      If my pocketbook could afford it and there was a diesel 4 door wrangler sold in the US, I would be very tempted to buy it. The Rubicon 4 door is one sweet looking truck, 4 wheel disc, a diesel.
                      I think it would be an awesome trail rig right off of the sales floor.
                      Even w/o the diesel, it will be awesome.

But then I would like a mega cab as well...

Some day...

Pieter
                      Yes, I've waited for three years for the 4 door Wrangler, but I'll wait longer, the V-6 is NOT the off-road or highway motor for me. Too little torque, too little fuel economy. Jeep has done a great job with it, I've had Jeeps since 1959 and it's the best ever factory concept and design, but I'll wait until Jeep puts a diesel in it.
                      MN

Comment

Working...
                      X