No announcement yet.

4BT Conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha haha, sorry I'm late! :~ ) thanks, Norm...

Well donner, the results are just great. I've had a lot of drivetrains in that truck over the past 30 years I've onwned, 318 Poly [GREAT!], LA318, built 360-3 [about 375hp and rev to the moon] but that Baby Cummins 4BT is the sweetest of them all! Okay, I'm a bit older, but it still has a magic all its own.

Bone stock it has more than adequate power for anything I've needed. As mentioned in Gordon's 'Fuel Mileage' thread, the power potential is incredible, and thankfully cheap. Ridiculous good mileage, instantaneous starting, stump-pulling torque off idle. The NV4500 trans is great. I need to install my 3,200 rpm governor spring in my Bosch VE injector pump on engine to raise the redline. Big gap between 3rd and 4th but the spring fix helps fill in the space.

If you're contemplating this swap DO IT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE! I absolutely guarantee you'll never regret it. You can have an ultra-relaxed cruiser or a gnarly, raunchy animal. Curious thing with the diesel: you can tweak the daylights out of it but they virtually never need a performance cam upgrade, until you get into plain silly power levels. Because of maintaining stock cam, if you decide you don't need the max power you can 'un-tweak' it in a very short time with no side effects. That's next to impossible with a gasser.

I've got some pics, but not organized, e-mail me if ya like and we can chat. Anybody e-mailing me, put Dodge or Cummins or Diesel in subject header or it's in the can.

JimmieD

Comment

six years ago my little 84 chev with a 6.2 and 200k on it had some issues so i thought i would replace it . i have several rigs so it just sat while i figured out what to do. gm wanted 7500 for a new style casting 6.5. i have my 6bt 93 ctd pickup and was asking around if they ever had a 4 bt. i never hit upon the right person to direct me towards one. so i didn't realize they built one for the road. i came across a old casting brand new 6.5 from gm for 5k and used it. i would give anything to go back and install a 4bt in it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD View Post
        Ha haha, sorry I'm late! :~ ) thanks, Norm...

Well donner, the results are just great. I've had a lot of drivetrains in that truck over the past 30 years I've onwned, 318 Poly [GREAT!], LA318, built 360-3 [about 375hp and rev to the moon] but that Baby Cummins 4BT is the sweetest of them all! Okay, I'm a bit older, but it still has a magic all its own.

Bone stock it has more than adequate power for anything I've needed. As mentioned in Gordon's 'Fuel Mileage' thread, the power potential is incredible, and thankfully cheap. Ridiculous good mileage, instantaneous starting, stump-pulling torque off idle. The NV4500 trans is great. I need to install my 3,200 rpm governor spring in my Bosch VE injector pump on engine to raise the redline. Big gap between 3rd and 4th but the spring fix helps fill in the space.

If you're contemplating this swap DO IT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE! I absolutely guarantee you'll never regret it. You can have an ultra-relaxed cruiser or a gnarly, raunchy animal. Curious thing with the diesel: you can tweak the daylights out of it but they virtually never need a performance cam upgrade, until you get into plain silly power levels. Because of maintaining stock cam, if you decide you don't need the max power you can 'un-tweak' it in a very short time with no side effects. That's next to impossible with a gasser.

I've got some pics, but not organized, e-mail me if ya like and we can chat. Anybody e-mailing me, put Dodge or Cummins or Diesel in subject header or it's in the can.

JimmieD
        Jim, powering up the driveway...

Comment

And there ya go there! Thanks, Norm.

Took a ride into town yesterday with some side trips to other local towns, really a lot of running around all day long. Just a real pleasure to drive and the gas gauge hardly moved at al. If I had driven a V8 gasser it would have been at least 8 or 10 gallons but the Baby Cummins used maybe 2 1/2 to 3. Insert smiley face >>>

:~ )

Comment

man, that thing is FINE! FINE i tell YA!

Comment

It's fine close-up too!

Last edited by MoparNorm; 06-07-2007, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Yo Jimmie:

LOOKIN GOOD! I mean real good (insert thumbs up). Hvae ya considered a faring on your roof rack? Clear plexiglas, a great way to protect more lights too. So how's the towing ability with that set up? I hear you've had boucué experience with that now.

Later
                Ugg

Comment

Hey, Ugg! I've driven it with and without roof rack and like zero difference. No real noise, can't notice any great aerodynamic drag or anything. Pretty much like it isn't even there, except for a slight extra top-heaviness. Even with my boat on top it wasn't bad, maybe even better for aero.

Towing is fine with one exception. Power is fine, but there's quite a stretch between 3rd and 4th with the NV4500, so I need to install my 3,200 rpm governor spring in the Bosch VE injection pump. That allows about 700 more revs on top end, just enough to make up for the deficit.

I had the Townie full to the roof with tools, parts, scrap steel, appliances, and was towing my Chevy LUV pickup, it too full to the roof of canopy with tools, scrap steel etc. 4BT had no problems at all handling this load of about 7,500-8,000 extra lbs. towing through California's mountains. That's equal to about a 25' travel trailer with the whole family's vacation junk,, food etc inside, plus several dogs ha haha!

Comment

Hi Jimmie:

That's good to know. Hmmm, we have a 26' TT, and with 2 litters planned, well that could mean an additional 20 of the critters (they average 11 pups per litter). Maybe I'll make Maynard walk? HA! I may be lookin at that conversion way sooner than what I planned. We'll find out about the Poly in the Beast after my buddy gets back from his vacation. 8~0

Later
                    Ugg

Comment

Remember, too, I'm referring to a stock 4BT as being quite adequate. A 4BTA with the aftercooler has 15 more horsepower and more torque. Also like I've said, the 4BT's are easy and cheap to do a hop-up on. My turbo upgrade which is going on very soon was only about $200+, the needed gauges to monitor engine condition are $150 or so, and even the water/methanol injection can be as cheap as say $300, up to $800 for the full-auto type. Those are some pretty low figures when we're talking about the performance world!? Less than $1,000 to get strong big block torque, and that's mostly OFF IDLE, not at 5,000 rpm, plus good mileage?!

Comment

Its a shame JimmieD passed away we have very similar trucks and I would have loved to talk to him.

Comment

Jimme D and Ugg where the greatest story tellers Ive ever followed on the power wagon forums, really miss hearing those stories for sure. Fleabag!!

Comment

4BT guy

I hope I can see you truck in person someday it looks great.
                            Nice work

Comment

hey guys, sorry to resurrect the thread!

I am trying to source a cummins 4bt but having trouble due to being untrusting. I have decided not to buy private so after shopping around I am looking at getting it from here (link below) do you reckon a used would be better value for money than remanufactured? also, have you dealt with these guys before? thanks!

https://www.4btengines.com/used-engines/

Comment

We have installed many 4BTA engines in M37 and Power Wagons. Never dealt with the Co you mentioned, sounds like they do more than most in checking used engines, but do you have proof they actually do what they claim is the big question? We have always sourced our engines straight from Cummins, either brand new or Cummins Re-Con, both have the same Cummins warranty. Two main reasons we do it this way, #1 We know we are getting a straight deal, with warranty. #2 We make the call pertaining to all the specifics in the way the engine is equipped and set up. We have the Cummins spec manuals, thus we turn in a spec sheet to our Rep at the time we order an engine. When we take delivery, the engine is already equipped to best fit our application, so things we have to add or modify are kept to a bare minimum. Be careful with an engine purchase in this regard; if you purchase an engine, then have to immediately change things like the fuel system to get the performance you need, the flywheel and housing, manifold and turbo configuration, electronics, and so on, you can easily have to spend several thousand additional $$$ invested over and above the purchase price to get that engine suited for your application. Additional components like this are costly over the parts counter at Cummins. Used components are out there, however if you go that route, you are once again getting into many of the same concerns that you had with buying a used engine. Check out all the details thoroughly, know what you are getting and closely compare that amount to new or Re-Con. I have seen buyers get burned because of running to buy what they thought was a sweet deal; many of those times they spent as much, sometimes more on a engine with other problems that were unknown, buying various parts to make it fit their particular application, etc. In the end they still have a used engine with no warranty. You said you were looking for a 4BT, a 4BTA is a much superior engine, we use them all the time, a 4BT will be lacking on power and torque in almost any truck application.

Comment

Working...
                                X