No announcement yet.

Women are from Venus, Men are from....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women are from Venus, Men are from....

Detroit, Motor City. I am contemplating the approach I will take in convincing Momma that the Power Wagon "Fenway" should have a Diesel repower and 5 speed tranny. She is educated enough to understand that it would be a performance gain, but likewise educated enough to understand that it doesn't absolutely need a performance gain. Fenway currently has the correct 251, correct tranny and 5.83 gears. It is a fine running machine and I have proudly and loudly proclaimed that it could outpull the neighbors 2006 Chevy, thus shooting myself in the foot for future conversation regarding needing a repower. I would like to make Fenway a daily driver and believe that this conversion, in combination with disc brakes and power steering, would make it so. I guess what I'm looking for here is a list of advantages to this repower. I have consulted Charles about doing the work and, since I don't have the skill set, am convinced that this is the route I would like to take, given Momma's approval. Any help with ammunition to convince Momma would be greatly appreciated.

It's not for POWER! It's for energy independence! You can run bio diesel or P100 which is 100% vegetable oil, free sometimes at resturants.
    Therefore you are helping your nation, cleaning the air and lowering your fuel costs to free or less than .50 cents per gallon (depending upon the fuel that you decide to use). It's time to stick it to the arabs and the oi companies! Go Diesel!
    MN
    PS; even if you run petroleum based Diesel, you'll still reap a 30-35% increase in fuel economy over gasoline, that's like buying $2 a gallon gas.

Comment

Yep, Norm's got it right! Not only that, but the diesel is FAR MORE reliable for long term ownership than any gasser engine, in particular the Cummins 'Million Mile Motor'. In addition you're upgrading to a much more recent powerplant/drivetrain for which parts are available off dealer shelves in virtually anywhere U.S.A. Also you eliminate the entire ignition system so reliability is again improved: no plugs, points, condenser, distributor, cap, rotor, wires, coil, etc. to cause you mightmares. The fuel economy increase is often even more dramatic than Mopar Norm describes. My truck upgraded to a Cummins 4Bt from a 360 torque motor will go from average of 15-18 mpg to 30 mpg or better! Using a 4BT engine with a 6BT clutch and transmission means some really long miles of reliability before you even think about new parts again. Last but not least, you get to afix that cool blue 'Cummins' emblem to the side of your hood adding immeasureable gobs of class to an already unique niche vehicle. I don't see how you can beat those advantages, especially if Charles Talbert does the swap. It doesn't get any better. :~ )

Comment

$$$$ Saved

To be spent elsewhere, like things SHE wants.

Kev:

That's the tact I'd take. You could go the total "Make Your Own Fuel" route too, where it'd cost about $.70 a gallon (1st year). Those food places PAY people to take away used cooking oil. They'd be happy to give it to you, and ya might even work out a deal where they PAY you to remove it, thus saving more $$$. Hmmm. maybe, just maybe...... HA!

Later
        Ugg

Comment

Since Old Yeller is my daily driver, the "more efficient", "better mileage" route worked with my wife. We're just figuring out where the money could come from.

Comment

If you plan to have Charles Talbert do the work, I'm sure you will have a very nice truck.

It's not clear if approval from Momma includes any issues on funding the project. If you are able to write a check for the whole thing, then I'm sure that having Momma's approval is a minor formality. I know that my being able to fund the new building for the Museum resulted in me having my wife's full approval and encouragement. Of course, now that my Power Wagon fund is depleted, I get "less encouragement" when I mention buying more trucks.

If funding is not an issue, please disregard the following as it probably won't matter.

It sounds like "Fenway" is a nice, ORIGINAL truck. If you have been following the market, the value of original trucks in nice condition is steadily increasing. Have you considered selling "Fenway" to capitalize your venture? There are a lot of trucks out there that are already missing some or all the parts you will be replacing.

The repower you are planning should include 4.89 differentials in addition to the disc brakes. This project suggests starting over with a bare frame. At some point in the process, that is all "Fenway" - or any other less expensive replacement - will be.

According to information provided by Charles, you can pretty much decide what work you want him to do. You might have him do all the mechanicals so you end up with a "new" chassis equivalent to what the factory would sell to special equipment installers. Then you could install and finish the other components when it is affordable. Because the repower will not happen overnight you will have time to work on them and have the ready for the chassis.

I am not against rebuilding to create a better truck. I hate for the "World Wide Power Wagon Inventory" to lose any original trucks when there are so many out there that are far from original but have real value to rebuilders.

If you take "Fenway" to Charles and write that check, you should also buy your wife a gift worth about the same amount as you will be decreasing the value of "Fenway" by making it not original. That's only fair.

Comment

Thank you all for the guidance. When I started the restoration of Fenway, I felt as though I needed to complete everything I started in a short time frame, and not leave anything unfinished should the cancer turn the wrong way, therefore I bypassed doing any mechanical upgrades. I relied on my Dad to spearhead rebuilding the original mechanicals, as this is not my forte. Now that the truck is finished and the cancer is gone, I regret not having done those things such as 4.89 gears, disc brakes, power steering, 5 speed trans. and diesel power. Hindsight is 20/20. To your point Paul, I believe I would be better off starting over with a different truck, but I have become so attached to this vehicle that common sense has left me. Obviously, money is the main issue here. Momma is a wonderful and understanding person, but I have a lot of money invested already and to have the conversion done properly, I will be doubling the investment. If I decide I can't part with my beloved Fenway, maybe I need a second job to finance the project. My only other alternative would be to be satisfied with the awesome truck as it is and concede that it will never be a daily driver. My daily drive includes a stretch of 55 MPH highway that most travel 70 MPH on. Please keep the comments and suggestions coming, they are appreciated.

Comment

All is positive, however you go

I'm always looking for nice condition trucks with bad engine & transmission combos. Of course a truck in this condition can be bought for less, but I must say it has been a long time since I've come across a truck with a good body & a bad power plant. Most trucks have body issues to be dealt with & this is the highest cost involved in a body off rebuild most of the time because it is usually labor intensive if you spend the time it takes to do it right. I would never sell a known good truck on a chance I may find 1 that has a bad or missing engine to repower. I get calls frequently from folks looking to purchase good used engines, selling your good used engine & trans won't be a problem. You may look at 50 trucks & not find 1 without body issues. If your truck is going to be a collector's item, keep it original, if it will be a daily driver, update it for economy, safety sake, & enjoy driving it. I personally don't enjoy owning something that I can't use. I know others have differing opinions, but I'd say it's up to you & however you feel about it, it's what you want that counts. In the mean while if you find that truck with a great body & no engine, by all means you may want to consider it. With available upgrades, these trucks can be turned into a really nice dependable vehicle. I've never been one to put them away in moth balls, I want to enjoy them.

Comment

Thanks for the input Charles. I agree with your philosophy, I can't justify owning a truck that will only be driven in parades. It is certainly the nicest vehicle I've ever owned but I'm not enjoying it to its fullest. Understand that it is an awesome driver, if I lived in the country or a small town, I would keep it original and drive it on a daily basis down backroads or 35 MPH streets. In the city and on the highway, however, I don't feel as though it would be safe for me or other drivers. The bodywork is truly show quality, so I have the high cost part done from your standpoint, and it would be a clean rebuild for you. I understand Paul's thinking with regards to repowering a fine example of an original PW and I respect that line of thinking, but I can't place a value on a vehicle in dollars and cents alone, it's value would be greater to its owner if it were on the streets and not in the garage. I won't ignore the advice of Paul, however, and keep my mind open to finding a solid truck without a motor and trans, and I can always start over on bodywork.
                  Last edited by Kevin Mienke; 08-31-2006, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Kevin, Charles and Paul

Now I better understand the mind of a collector. I can't imagine putting that much time, money, work and love into a truck and then selling it. That's why you keep them. Until today I thought collectors were just people with buckets of money, although I'm sure some do have buckets. Now I think I understand the sacrifices made to become a collector. For me, owning a vehicle that I'm hessitant to drive, for any reason, is a waste of money, unless I had the aforementioned buckets or a museum in Texas. Function is foremost. New motorcycles are more like trucks and new trucks are more like busses. I'll take the old stuff, anytime. Paul, I'll leave the preservation to you and others. We need you. Personally, I want to work a truck that was designed for work and make it better in the few ways possible for safety and performance. Boy, that Charles is a really smart guy. We seem to agree on almost everything.
                    Doug

Comment

Doug,
                      The way to be a collector AND have one bucket of money, is to start with three buckets! ...= )
                      MN

Comment

Working...
                      X