Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Town Wagon 4BT conversion, getting closer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sickcall
    When I get that Corn Chip van in one of these future auctions the chasis is going to sit on pier blocks up in the trees. I'll spray it a little camo and use it as a storage container with only the rear doors showing, maybe a little concrete out front and a light/power. I think it beats having to build a shed or buy an ocean shipping container. Nobody will ever see it!
    Put it up high enough and it can do duty as a deerstand too.

Comment

You guys are cracking me up. Genuine 'Laughing out Loud'! thanks, I needed that.... :~ )

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD View Post
        You guys are cracking me up. Genuine 'Laughing out Loud'! thanks, I needed that.... :~ )
        Maybe I missed it. Did you ever get a chance to post pix??? How is the project coming?

Comment

Hi Sam! No you didn't miss it, I did. Just haven't had time for pics as the conversion takes every spare instant and then some. I'll get some pics up some day soon.

I'm in the home stretch. Check clutch slave pushrod length, finish rewiring and a few other things and it'll be running in a couple of days, God willing. Serious snowstorm blowing right now so that may hamper things as it's not unusual to get 3-4 feet overnight around here. Sure hope not this time: gotta work outside! Thanks for asking.....

Comment

Well, twisting up the last few wires, fill her up with dino and let the games begin, maybe a day or two?

Just wanted to suggest a modification to consider for those using the NV4500 and Dodge bellhousing. I did a custom installed Poly slave cylinder as mentioned previously. That required a home-made slave cylinder pushrod turned down from a Grade 8 bolt. Had to guesstimate the correct length and no reference points because I didn't purchase the stock hydraulic slave unit to compare to. Filled and bled the system yesterday but don't have any idea if the clutch will work or not??

The '00 Dodge/Cummins bellhousing has no inspection cover of any kind, just some vent holes up on top [CTD clutches can get pretty warm] with a plate covering them. Seems a good idea to cut an inspection hole in the bottom of the bell, at least 3/4" to 1" and with a cover, to allow a guy to take a peek and see what's going on with clutch etc. !?! I won't know if the pushrod length is correct until it's running the first time and I try to cram it in gear....

Comment

Congrats JimmieD, good work on your 3.9 cummins, I just posted this reply to wrong fo

I too have a huge box of brass fittings, photos to follow, its super handy as you say! Don't know where I read this post but I thought I would mention it. Did you get the 4 banger fired up yet? Send me pictures.

I have been swamped at work but my 75 Dodge Cummins project is coming alowg, I have wire drawing for the swap built and my other drawings up on the web site under a new link, tech stuff!

More pictures all around, I'm looking at the next open spot in the shop to pull the 92 in and pull out the drivetrain. I have my new parts for the project in the shop.

Stock 75 frame, 92 rad support, new lift pump, alt & starter brushes, water pump, belts, tensioners, brand new from dodge 1992 CTD front springs.

Anyway, I Hope you have yours together or close to. If you were closer to Calgary canada we could have a beer drinking brass fitting sorting night, hee hee.

Reg

Comment

Well, getting VERY close Reg! Brass fittings post was over at Norm's place, the '61-'71 Dodge Sweptline Forums.

My swap is 3.9L Cummins into '67 D-100 Town Wagon. That involves fab custom frame supports boxes and engine mounts, fab custom exhaust, new D-200 front axle w/ steering and brakes, new Eaton Detroit Springs 1,500 lbs front spring packs, rebuilt steering box from Firm Feel, build custom extended steering column, install NV4500 trans [build 2 crosmembers], Dana 1410 U-joints, Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft, 4.1 Dana 60HD rear, coil-over rear shocks, D-200++ rear springs, install 25 gal aluminum fuel tank between rear frame rails, new fuel lines, rewire ALL wiring to custom circuit breaker panel eliminating all bulkhead connectors but lights [change that later to another breaker panel], rebuild cab mounts, fab custom steel tube support structure for floors and seat mounts, replace firewall pieces, front floors, seat area floors with 1/8" plate, repair body damage from 1/2 rolling it and getting rear ended HARD, TWICE [couldn't believe it...], and a whole lot more!

Pics will come later, and hoping to have it running/driving in a couple of days, again: God willing! Snow slowed me down, working outside..... Next comes one l-o-n-g vacation and who knows, I might drive north with my can of brass fittings and a whole bunch of fresh roasted coffee ha haha!

Comment

Pounds per Liter...

Side note:

Many guys are running 1st Gen 5.9L CTD's in a 7,600 lbs 4x4 trucks with great results. My truck tips the scales at about 4,800 with the 3.9L installed. The 5.9L trucks come out to about 1,280 lbs per liter, mine comes out at 1,230 lbs per liter! Already have 3" exhaust, equal to a 4.5" in the big engine, plus a 3200 rpm governor spring and HTT turbo upgrade [they're not yet installed] and looking at water/meth injection and Bosch VE fuel pump tweaks. 2WD has less parasitic drag so it might come out pretty nice....?

Comment

Working...
                  X