Stripped Drain Plug (Cummins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped Drain Plug (Cummins)

I have a friend that has a 1999 Dodge 4x4 with the Cummins and he has a stripped oil drain plud hole. Any ideas on a fix? Can the pan be removed with out any problems? I have not seen to truck to offer any advice yet but thought I would ask here first.

First I would see if anyone, meaning any parts house, sold a self-tapping, ovesize repair plug. Also contact your local Cummins dealer for a service part for such circumstances.

Removing the pan should be easier than removing the pan from most vehicles. You are meaning that he would replace the pan?

That one I would have thought difficult to strip.

Keep us posted.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Cummins offers repair kits

The way all I've installed works is to drill out the hole to a given oversize, tap in threads for the adapter (a standard NPT size) that is screwed into place using lock-tite thread sealant for pipe threads. The adapter is internally threaded for a new plug. It is sold at any Cummins parts counter as a kit.

Comment

The owner says its a steel oil pan and it has a 22mm x 1.5 drain plug. That seems to be a big drain plug. I suggested an insert or remove the pan and weld or braze a plate on the pan with new threads, maybe something smaller that the original size. I still havent seen the vehicle to offer advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert
          The way all I've installed works is to drill out the hole to a given oversize, tap in threads for the adapter (a standard NPT size) that is screwed into place using lock-tite thread sealant for pipe threads. The adapter is internally threaded for a new plug. It is sold at any Cummins parts counter as a kit.
          Like Charles said, and like Gordon said, get a repair kit from Cummins and no more problem.

Comment

Working...
          X