Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centered rear diff for 205 and 4BT

Hey All,
    I just got reading other posts on here and got an idea......I ALREADY HAVE A CENTERED REAR DIFF! I went to the field and lo and behold, there sits a centered rear diff on my old parts chassis! I never gave it a thought before about that being centered.
    SOOOOO.....What all is involved in a NP205 swap? I found one of those for $75.00!! Is the WC rear a bolt in? Spring perches where they belong and such? Being a centered diff that leads me to believe it is a 3/4 ton and therefore has 5.89 gears. I was hoping it was a 1/2 ton and had 4.89's. Am I correct in my assumptions? The only reason I would think about running the 205 over the 200 would be noise reduction......Am I on the right track? Are the ratios the same between the 200 and 205?

Thanks again for any help!!

Mike

If I'm not mistaken ( I didn't look it up) the 200-201 and 205 all had a low range of 1.96 to 1. Some publications say the 205 is a 2.1, but I'm not sure about that. The 1.96 ratio is from Dodge, the builder of the NP cases.
    MN

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
      If I'm not mistaken ( I didn't look it up) the 200-201 and 205 all had a low range of 1.96 to 1. Some publications say the 205 is a 2.1, but I'm not sure about that. The 1.96 ratio is from Dodge, the builder of the NP cases.
      MN
      Excellent!! Are the physical chracteristics such as mounting the same between the two as well? So what is the difference between the 200 and 205?

Mike

Comment

You don't say what your putting this in but an early WC used a smaller diameter light duty ring and pinion in both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton models. The latter WC 3/4 ton used the larger heavier duty diameter carried over into the M37. It sounds as if you are going to re-power and may want more strength in your rear end.

Comment

I guess you did say......4BT. I would find a 43 and latter centered rear diff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickcall View Post
            I guess you did say......4BT. I would find a 43 and latter centered rear diff.
            I guess I said the engine but not that it is going in a 68 M37. I am not sure of the year of the chassis I have. Is there an easy way to tell without taking the rear apart? It looks similar but I have yet to have the two side by side.

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Working...
            X