Diesel cruising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel cruising

Well, I've discovered something rather new to me now that I have my diesel powered Dodge up and running reliably. I find great pleasure in going for a ride and just putting along at low rpm and low speed, relaxing and enjoying the ride.

It's hard to explain, but it seems most similiar to taking out the boat and cruising the lake. Speed and power don't have much to do with it at all. Just rolling along comfortably on the strong low rpm torque curve is somewhat similar to trolling the lakes. Relax, see the sites, listening to that engine make its sounds of reserved power is really very pleasant.

Ya gotta understand, this is coming from Mr. 4 bbl V8 here, who loved the sound of solid lifters on the verge of valve float! Gimme high lift, max duration, 8,000 rpms, all four barrels and open exhaust screaming, bang another gear hard! Nope, not anymore.

I even find that on the freeways, though I can pretty much keep up with anybody, I back way off and pull it down to maybe 50-55 simply because it makes for a very enjoyable trip. If there's a handy frontage road that may even become the preferred route. Makes me think that but for the rather harsh ride there may have been some now unknown pleasures in those old covered wagon journies!

Just wanted to share that, and maybe some others have discovered something similar. I think most of the guys around here have a better than average knowledge of what life's really about. I've come to enjoy quietly experiencing the sights and sounds and smells of right here, right now, instead of hurrying ahead to grab ahold of some imagined future. I suppose the other drivers in their low-slung, hi-revving, gizmo-laden Fandango Veloce Deluxus ZZG wonder what that old geezer in the weird stinky truck is smiling about. If they'd slow down for a piece I'd tell them.

I think I'll go for a ride, diesel cruisin'.

Well put!!

I've enjoyed test driving every one we have done. Usually drive a minimum of 100 or so miles just to be satisfied that all systems are GO. The sound of a winding turbo is sweet music to my ears.

Comment

Yes, that's another thing. I really need to pull the silencer ring and bolt on the HTT Stage II compressor section so I can hear it when it starts to sing. Right now I barely hear the turbo but I think [hope] everything's working okay. Supposedly the Stage II gives faster spool-up.

Comment

Dirt Roads

I think Paul Harvey said it best about dirt roads...............

http://www.othalaacres.com/dirtroads/

Comment

Wow, that was one of the best S/C! Paul Harvey, what a guy ha ha You definitely captured just what I was talking about....
          :~ )

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD View Post
            Well, I've discovered something rather new to me now that I have my diesel powered Dodge up and running reliably. I find great pleasure in going for a ride and just putting along at low rpm and low speed, relaxing and enjoying the ride.

It's hard to explain, but it seems most similiar to taking out the boat and cruising the lake. Speed and power don't have much to do with it at all. Just rolling along comfortably on the strong low rpm torque curve is somewhat similar to trolling the lakes. Relax, see the sites, listening to that engine make its sounds of reserved power is really very pleasant.

Ya gotta understand, this is coming from Mr. 4 bbl V8 here, who loved the sound of solid lifters on the verge of valve float! Gimme high lift, max duration, 8,000 rpms, all four barrels and open exhaust screaming, bang another gear hard! Nope, not anymore.

I even find that on the freeways, though I can pretty much keep up with anybody, I back way off and pull it down to maybe 50-55 simply because it makes for a very enjoyable trip. If there's a handy frontage road that may even become the preferred route. Makes me think that but for the rather harsh ride there may have been some now unknown pleasures in those old covered wagon journies!

Just wanted to share that, and maybe some others have discovered something similar. I think most of the guys around here have a better than average knowledge of what life's really about. I've come to enjoy quietly experiencing the sights and sounds and smells of right here, right now, instead of hurrying ahead to grab ahold of some imagined future. I suppose the other drivers in their low-slung, hi-revving, gizmo-laden Fandango Veloce Deluxus ZZG wonder what that old geezer in the weird stinky truck is smiling about. If they'd slow down for a piece I'd tell them.

I think I'll go for a ride, diesel cruisin'.
            I can't wait for the diesel.......I completely know what you are saying though......I love to listen to the old flathead 6 as we cruise around just for the joy of it........

Mike

Comment

Yes, a properly adjusted flathead 6 has a sweet sound to it. Had a '49 Dodge Coronet Diplomat with the flat 6 and it sounded like a sewing machine. Would have been a great car except the Fluid-Drive was too loose.

Comment

Yes, a properly adjusted flathead 6 has a sweet sound to it. Had a '49 Dodge Coronet Diplomat with the flat 6 and it sounded like a sewing machine. Would have been a great car except the Fluid-Drive was too loose.
                The best sound my 230 makes is when it is pulling a hill with a heavy load and working hard.............I love low RPM torque.......Gotta have the Cummins one of these days. klatta, klatta, whistle, klatta, klatta........You can get into a rythm with a diesel.......Seems like you can hear each injector open and close..................

Mike

Comment

I couldn't agree more, Mike! The Dodge 6's were a magnificent workhorse all things considered. On topic, the Harley Flatheads showed the world what one would REALLY DO! With a proper tune the flattie 6 is a melodious thing, and with modifications it's one hot little rocket that sings another tune, to each his own?

Cummins is just plain DIFFERENT. No, I can't explain it. 4BT is a rattly beast, no doubt. Mine vibrates at almost any RPM, but likely because the mounts aren't quite right yet. Regardless, there's a place it gets to [can't wait to get a tach] where all the rattles whistling al get together and it suddenly smooths out. Maybe 1500-1700 just guessing. At that RPM at cruise the turbo is ready to dump air but at the same time it's a peculiar quiet and calm, ideal for tramping along in 4th, no hurry at all. Sort of like carrying a gun: you can feel the weight of it, and it's there if you need it, but you don't have to put it to use unless you need or want to. When you do, it can bark loudly!

Word of advice: take your time CHOOSING an engine unless you're pretty well heeled or have a desire to rebuild it. Some of these takeout engines are very low miles, as mine happened to be. Mine's either 56K or 86K, can't remember without looking. Others may have some tall miles so you know there's going to be hidden costs down the road, maybe soon. I'd certainly pay extra for low mileage. A Recon was out of the question for me, but that must be a marvelous thing: BRAND NEW CUMMINS 4BTA YIPES AND GADZOOKS!

Comment

I couldn't agree more, Mike! The Dodge 6's were a magnificent workhorse all things considered. On topic, the Harley Flatheads showed the world what one would REALLY DO! With a proper tune the flattie 6 is a melodious thing, and with modifications it's one hot little rocket that sings another tune, to each his own?

Cummins is just plain DIFFERENT. No, I can't explain it. 4BT is a rattly beast, no doubt. Mine vibrates at almost any RPM, but likely because the mounts aren't quite right yet. Regardless, there's a place it gets to [can't wait to get a tach] where all the rattles whistling al get together and it suddenly smooths out. Maybe 1500-1700 just guessing. At that RPM at cruise the turbo is ready to dump air but at the same time it's a peculiar quiet and calm, ideal for tramping along in 4th, no hurry at all. Sort of like carrying a gun: you can feel the weight of it, and it's there if you need it, but you don't have to put it to use unless you need or want to. When you do, it can bark loudly!

Word of advice: take your time CHOOSING an engine unless you're pretty well heeled or have a desire to rebuild it. Some of these takeout engines are very low miles, as mine happened to be. Mine's either 56K or 86K, can't remember without looking. Others may have some tall miles so you know there's going to be hidden costs down the road, maybe soon. I'd certainly pay extra for low mileage. A Recon was out of the question for me, but that must be a marvelous thing: BRAND NEW CUMMINS 4BTA YIPES AND GADZOOKS!
                    JimmieD,
                    Most diesels I have ever driven had "a sweet spot" like you describe.......Like Cat drivers used to say.."ready to pounce"....LOL.

I just sent a message to a gent in NC asking about a Frito Van with the Cummins and automatic.......I like the way the Cummins sounds with the auto tranny and I think the swap would be incredibly easy using one. That one is supposed to have around 100K on it.
                    I, like you, cannot even think about the cost of a new engine.....I can't even imagine how nice it must be to drive away in one of Charles' trucks. I think I would be making a VERY long road trip to celebrate that! Just the security of knowing that every single part has been gone through and improved upon where needed would be incredible. You can't get that at a new car lot in ANY make.

Mike

Comment

Agreed, and I'm quite sure Charles Talbert is fastidious and meticulous, no 'Good enough' allowed! As for myself I need all the leeway possible ha haha! On the Frito trucks the Service Manager of the service terminal listed in dovebid.com addies can give the whole history on any truck. Sure hope you get what you need!
                      JimmieD

Comment

Working...
                      X