6.2 Wc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.2 Wc

Not too many of you are using the GM diesels huh?

This my time consumer:

a '44 WC51 (though will end up with a winch) with a 6.2 GM using a turbo off a 6.5, a T56 trans and an NP201 transfer case.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Oz Brad View Post
    Not too many of you are using the GM diesels huh?

This my time consumer:

a '44 WC51 (though will end up with a winch) with a 6.2 GM using a turbo off a 6.5, a T56 trans and an NP201 transfer case.
    That looks "Slick"!
    I saw a M-37 with a 6.2 & 400 Turbo. at Iowa a few years ago.
    It was pretty "stout". He was able to do a good job on the mud trails.
    IMO, I'm not to sure I would bolt a turbo on a 6.2. Unless it was the very latest one's before the 6.5,and had the correct internals,and newer style block.
    The biggest mistake most people do to a 6.2,and will "Kill" it is to advance the pump timing. They will run better but not for long.
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Oz Brad:

Keep us updated on your PROJECT there. Let us know what other changes ya have to go thru (cooling system, body changes, ect). I can see a diesel/auto combo in the Beast's future (although not to soon), so I'm REAL interested.

Later
      Ugg

Comment

Thanks for the post and pict.
        Would appreciate some more info on the engine. Did you use the 6.5 heads as well, or adapt the 6.2 injector lines to the 6.5 pump? Are you using a mechanical or electronic 6.5 pump? What freshening-up did you do to the 6.2 (head bolts, timing chain, seals, etc)?
        Can't tell from the picture, but is the right side of the trans mount cross-member clearing above the front drive shaft?
        Are you using power steering, and what did you do to adapt to the WC?
        Would like to see some picts on the exhaust when you get it in.
        Keep us posted on the progress!

Comment

u joints

What is the set up on the u joints between the tranny and transfer case? How long is it? What parts were used? Thanks Fleabag!!

Comment

GM diesel build

I bought the engine rebuilt, the heads and bores were done taking a bit of gamble with it. I got it cheap if if was built right, won't know for a while i guess. Its all original 6.2 hardware (Heads, injectors, pump...).
            There are a few good forums that have a heap of info, one of the better ones is:
            http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/

Apparently they stand up to the turbo fine, both the after market banks (was also a dealer option on some) and the 6.5 components are common on the 6.2.

A good conversion bloke over here said that some he did started to give problems around 300,000km. That'll last me 50 years. I'll run low boost and watch the exhaust temp.

- Both sides of the trans cross member are high and will go over the front prop shaft on the right and the PTO shaft and exhaust on the left.

- No power steering. Yet.
            I'm using a box off a studebaker. The old man has been abusing a WC52 with a 351 in it for 25 years and went through a couple of steering boxes before going to the studebaker. So I'll start with that. I was looking at a Sag power box at a swap meet yesterday, but I'll leave that for a while and live with the arm strong system.

-See the coupling below.
            Thisis an older photo, i've clocked the case up a bit, and mounted it all in there since. I was worried about the movement between the trans and the transfer but the mounts are pretty solid and shouldn't be a problem.
            Attached Files

Comment

Good to see a V8 diesel being installed. I'm collecting up parts to install a 7.3L Int'l with C6 trans into my M43. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Hi OZ!
                You don't see too much here about using the gm or Navistar because of the problems they have have over the years vs. the power/weight and reliability of a Cummins 4bt.
                However, we are all interested and curious as to your project and it's success, so keep us posted and keep the pictures coming!
                Uh...you do know that your steering column is on the wrong side...right?...ha!ha!

Comment

Working...
                X