diesel engine heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diesel engine heater

Starting to think about winter. I have a CUmmins Ram '01.
    THe dealer quoted me a price for a block heater and installation which is rather steep. My question is this: can you use a radiator hose heater like I have on my diesel farm tractor? These are effective it seems and much cheape4. Plus I can install it myself easily. They sell them throug Central Tractor.

Block Heater

There are aftermarket heaters that replace a freeze plug on the block of a normal engine. They cost about $30 and probably do what the factory kit does. I have not removed a freeze plug before, but there must be an easy trick.

Comment

Freeze plug removal

I ususally drill a small pilot hole, screw in a heavy sheet metal screw, and use a slide hammer with a hook tool to pop the freeze plug right out. You may have to pry the freeze plug out if you don't have room for the slide hammer, but still use the heavy sheet metal screw to pull the plug out.

When installing new freeze plugs, I coat the edges with purple Permatex (I forget the name), drive the plug into the hole with a socket just slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the plug, and then tap a dimple into the center of the freeze plug with a ball peen hammer to expand the plug for better sealing.

Comment

Coolant Heater

My pair of Dodge wreckers with Cummins Dsl 1991 +2001 both came with Frost Plug Block heaters.I have never seen a Dodge with a Dsl that didnt have one . Up here in the beautiful Adirondack Mts it gets very cold (we have already had 30 degree nites) I have installed a lot of engine coolant heaters in my fleet of old + new iron + for the motoring public in my repair shop. I use the brand Kats + have had very good luck with them.Frost plug units work best. Lower hose units are next,Heater hose units are the easiest to install but do not heat as well as the frost plug or lower hose unit. I also use the large magnetic heater on the motor oil pan + Hydraulic tank on my Roll back as it sits under a open lean to shed + is plugged in ready to go at a moments notice

Comment

Thanks,
          After your reply I looked more carefully and I found the cord and the freeze plug heater on it! (I bought it used). I guess I will get a timer and use it this winter in the mornings.

Comment

Cheap alternative

Well that sounds a lot less expensive.

Comment

Working...
            X