4 cyl Detroit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 cyl Detroit?

There are many listed on Gov Liq right now. What was the original application? I don't know for sure but I am assuming these are a very loud 2 cycle engine not suitable for a good conversion, althought the size and HP appear about right.

They were used in Gamagoats and boats IIRC..

Comment

I haven't checked but depending upon your location, I'm not sure that you could get a hiway registration for that motor...or that it would perform well with the new ULSD fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by warlock440 View Post
        They were used in Gamagoats and boats IIRC..
        Are you sure about the Goat usage? I was pretty sure that the M561 came fitted with the 3-53N...

Specification page at the GamaGoat page:
        http://www.gamagoat.com/info_gen_specs.html

I do know a couple of folks who have the 3-53N installed in M37's who really like the conversion (one has something like 75-100k miles on the truck since the swap...), but they are loud... :) Not sure that a 4-53 would fit without some sheetmetal work due to length.

Comment

They were remanufactured engines and sold for $4600 each. Must have been good for something?

Comment

i have one out of a c-65 chev two ton with belts pulleys blower etc torn down email me. 4-53 detroit. also have a straight truck five speed. sae #2 belhousing on both. email me for pictures or measurments.

Comment

4-71 or 4-53??

Which series are these engines? The 4-71 is much heavier than the 53. The 53 being the lighter is too heavy for an M37 application. Detroits are a tough as nails engine, both are the old 2 cycle, EXTREMELY noisy. They have a high RPM peak torque range as the 2 cycle design requires being wound tight to get top horsepower rating. The 3-53 would be the one best suited for the M37, however no even close to the best choice for a diesel repower. Some folks just like them, like anything else, to each his own.

Comment

Back in the late 60s Shippers Dispatch used 4-53s in there International city tractors with a 5 and a 2 speed .You had to keep them wound up all the time...man they were loud...made a lot of noise but didnt seem to go anywhere....

Comment

Originally posted by CGarbee View Post
                  I do know a couple of folks who have the 3-53N installed in M37's who really like the conversion (one has something like 75-100k miles on the truck since the swap...), but they are loud... :) Not sure that a 4-53 would fit without some sheetmetal work due to length.
                  There was a 4-53 truck on BE a few years ago. I believe Dennis (PoW) has over 300,000 miles on his 3-53N/3053 repowered truck.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by CREEPING DEATH View Post
                    There was a 4-53 truck on BE a few years ago. I believe Dennis (PoW) has over 300,000 miles on his 3-53N/3053 repowered truck.

Jeff

Ahh yes, Dennis... He and I talk often. I hadn't realized that he had gotten that many miles on it, but I know he has been driving it since the mid-seventies...

Comment

Working...
                    X