4BT installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4BT installation

I looked around the forum a little but could not find what people are using for bellhousings behind their 4 cyl cummins. I am thinking about making the swap but want to gather all the parts first. One engine I am looking at had a Gm automatic behind it and another is from a Komatsu loader with a big torque converter. What parts from the M37 can be used to make the smoothest conversion. Does one go beyond the transfer case? This is a very premature question but I want to do this in my head first. Thanks.

I can only answer part of the question as I'm not familiar with M37's. The 4BT will need the Cummins adapter plate for whatever trans/belhousing you decide to use.

I currently have a comeplete GM setup available, which includes the Cummins/GM adapter plate [to adapt transmision or bellhousing to Cummins block], Cummins/GM flexplate with ring gear and torque converter mount straps plus spacer ring and bolts, Cummins/GM starter, Lord gel-rubber engine mounts, Cummins/GM 4BT steel motor mounts [that bolt to sides of engine and connect to the Lord isolators] and the Morris 5051 cable type shifter and tower with cable for truck installs.

These were used on a Cummins 4BT with a GM TH400 style auto trans, the heavy duty Pontiac version. So, any trans that will fit up to a TH400 setup, or any bellhousing that will do same, can be used.

Comment

Here's some info links that may help.

Check out Cabell Garbee's page on M37/Cummins 4BT swaps:
      http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/

Linda has several good albums on Cummins 4BT installs:
      http://community.webshots.com/album/107420677AuAuFP

Paul in NY has done several Cummins 4BT installs, including M37's
      http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple

Comment

He probably has a NP420 in there now?
        DT, you just need to decide if you want an auto or a manual, then narrow down the choices, Dodge or GM auto, or NV4500 manual, all three were made to work with the Cummins and could make your motor search more specific.

Comment

Originally posted by DThibault View Post
          I looked around the forum a little but could not find what people are using for bellhousings behind their 4 cyl cummins. I am thinking about making the swap but want to gather all the parts first. One engine I am looking at had a Gm automatic behind it and another is from a Komatsu loader with a big torque converter. What parts from the M37 can be used to make the smoothest conversion. Does one go beyond the transfer case? This is a very premature question but I want to do this in my head first. Thanks.
          The GM auto engine might be fine. That way you already have the Cummins/GM adapter plate. I think Cabell Garbee used that plate to mount a GM bellhousinf with SM465, not sure.

I can't say for sure on the Komatsu, but there's a chance of some differences from a highway vehicle in the injection pump setup and timing. The single most important thing in selecting an engine, above anything else, is the CPL Data Plat on timing gear housing. This CPL [Control Parts List] number plate explains EXACTLY what engine it is and has invaluable information. You can use that number and call Cummins Customer Service at 1-800-Diesels [1-800-343-7357] to find out what you have. That is the only way to order parts for the engine.

Also, there have been several 4BT & 4BTA engines stolen recently. You sure don't want to find yourself on the receiving end of that! Also the CPL tells what the engine is from such as motor vehicle, forklift, marine, tractor, stationary engine etc. It costs a wad of dough to convert a non-vehicle engine to vehicle use.

Comment

Whew, that's a lot of reading, I have dialup connections so the pictures were especially slow coming in but I had a great time last night. Thanks guys for all the info. I am doing maple syrup right now but April will be my month to do some real looking. Thanks. Dave

Comment

Doing Maple syrup, Dave?! You and Paul @ Moose Creek Maple ought to get along just fine. Last I heard he was waiting for warmer weather for the maple to be able to flow. He's a very nice guy, by the way.
              JimmieD

Comment

stock Chevy T474 adapter to T400 4x4 trans w]Atlas 4.3 Tcase.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yipes, H/S, that's gotta be one mean package! Looks more like 'Drop the hammer Scout' to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X