Question on a 92 350 4x4 TD w/ intercooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on a 92 350 4x4 TD w/ intercooler

A local paper has a 92 Dodge 350 4x4 pickup with the Cummins turbo diesel w/ intercooler for sale. It has a plow and 126,000 miles on it and an auto transmission. It is selling for $3,750. The body has some rust but the add mentions it has a new frt end parts, steering box, brakes and recent fluids changed. The picture of the body looks good, no holes visible. My question to you experienced diesel experts is; Is it worth buying?

Joe

Considering that I am thinking of buying such a thing, your question is interesting.

You need to go look at it in person, listen to it and drive it. I will bet you will have an opinion after that. Keep us posted.

As per the May through August 2006 NADA book, it has an average retail of $4,100, and you add $725 for four wheel drive and $1,350 for a diesel. That book is out of date of course, but not by a lot.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks Gordon for this helpful info. I emailed the owner and hope to hear back from him. I was sorry to read that you had some problems with your truck. I'm hesitant to buy the later model diesel trucks because I know they will be difficult to work on.

I have seen posts talking about lift pumps being a problem. At what mileage, approximately, do they need to be replaced?

Joe

Comment

The lift pumps that were problematic were mainly in the 2nd generation trucks, 1998.5 to 2002.
        That 92 price is worth it for the running gear alone.

Comment

Thanks Norm,

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Flo View Post
            Thanks Gordon for this helpful info. I emailed the owner and hope to hear back from him. I was sorry to read that you had some problems with your truck. I'm hesitant to buy the later model diesel trucks because I know they will be difficult to work on.

I have seen posts talking about lift pumps being a problem. At what mileage, approximately, do they need to be replaced?

Joe
            From what I have read, anywhere from 30,000 miles to 200,000 miles. I have about 105,000 on mine and it is still the original.

Comment

Gordon,

That's interesting that it can vary by that many miles. Is it a quality control, maintenance or environment/fuel type issue?

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Flo View Post
                Gordon,

That's interesting that it can vary by that many miles. Is it a quality control, maintenance or environment/fuel type issue?

Joe
                I think if I had the answer to that I would make a lot of money. It mounts to the engine which does not help, due to heat and vibration, but apparently lots of larger diesels have such pumps mounted on the engine with no trouble. It may simply be that it is underdesigned for the application.

Comment

The early 1st Gen, at least '89-'91 and maybe later, use a diphragm lift pump. I just bought one for $56 and that's not even the lowest price available [check Rock Auto on the net]. That doesn't seem like any 'break your back' price for a consumable to me.

I don't know what the big deal is unless some bad info is coming from 'General Purpose' type diesel websites: read that as favoring Ford PowerJokes or Chevy DuraJunks. They are hard pressed to find ANYTHING wrong with the Cummins so they're pulling at straws! That Cummnis you're talking about is barely broken in and should have 600,000-800,000 miles to go on the engine....

Comment

The 2nd generation lift pumps are notorious for problems. A whole market emerged with regard to alternative pumps and kits to relocate the stock pumps away from the engine and near the fuel tank. The lift pumps have also greatly stimulated the sale of fuel pressure gauges and kits that provide low fuel pressure warning lights. Many hundreds of threads on Turbodieselregister's site attest to all of this.

So, sadly, it is a real thing.

Comment

Aha! SECOND GEN! I've heard of a lot of guys swapping 1st Gens to piston lift pumps, and also running the Walbro setups, if they're wanting to make lots of fuel. I'd stuff in a Walbro [with pressure regulator] on a 2nd Gen and forget about it for a long time.

The piston lift pump that can be used on 1st Gens IS NOT A 2ND GEN PISTON LIFT PUMP! It is an upgrade pump from Cummins which puts out lower pressure than 2nd Gen pump but improves 1st Gen performance with Bosch VE injection pump. The upgrade piston pump, not 2nd Gen, is P/N#3936320 .

Comment

Gordon,
                        I think that a large percentage of lift pump issues on the 2nd Gen is due to adding chips and other HP packages....

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                          Gordon,
                          I think that a large percentage of lift pump issues on the 2nd Gen is due to adding chips and other HP packages....
                          Not from what I read.... it seems random.

Comment

Regardless of the pressures or usage? That seems odd. I wonder if there is any data compiled to augment that?
                            It would be disturbing to think that the pumps just fail with no other influence what-so-ever. I have 65,000 miles on mine now, I should get a rabbits foot? = )

Comment

Well, Norm, if it's for good luck ya gotta remember, it didn't work for the rabbit....

Comment

Working...
                              X