Dyno Days At Piers Diesel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyno Days At Piers Diesel!

I took my 1993 Dodge out to Piers Diesel Dyno Days this afternoon. Fun was had by all! I think there were over 70 trucks that went on the Dyno including several brand new Ford & Dodge trucks...even a new Dodge Hemi!
    I'm happy to say that my truck was dyno'd at 740ft/lbs of torque which is almost 200ft/lbs more than the 6L Ford that went through only moments after mine! :)

Is your engine modified to produce that kind of torque?

Also, WOW.... what a bed liner. I think you need to tell us about that.

A beautiful truck!

You could send a sympathy card to that Ford guy...
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Gordon, Yes, Piers has been working with me on my truck since I bought it & found myself very dissapointed with the 130 rear wheel HP that the first Gen Cummins came with stock if it was ordered with an Automatic transmission. I believe they got 20-30HP more if the Getrag manual transmission was ordered. Both were poor transmissions, the auto with a bad torque converter & the Getrag with oiling problems.

I've invested over $10,000 Canadian dollars,(about $900 US Ha Ha!) into the engine & transmission of this truck. I installed a DTT Transmission which is bulletproof but VERY expensive. I had Piers install Bosch 185 injectors, 16cm Turbo housing & do his handy work on the rotary injection pump.

I've basically done the modifications that I have done with towing in mind... the HP that this engine produces isn't really of interest to me unless it's usable towing, which is the biggest obstacle when powering up any diesel engine.

I also wasn't real keen on installing the Lucas POD injectors as I've been told although you'll gain more HP, they'll smoke way worse than the 185's. That being said, I'll take German technology over the English!

It's easy to increase the fuel going into the engine & thus sending the HP upwards, but keeping the engine from heating to the point of meltdown is where all the money can be spent. I'm talking to Piers about installing twin turbos on this truck. It sounds crazy but if you see the results you'd be amazed!

Yes, the bedliner is new on Friday. I had it fabricated by a local shop called Hi-Lite in Langley BC. They do great work! I removed the old plastic liner that had been in since 1993 & the bed was so pristine underneath that I decided to treat it to a new liner! Happy 10th Birthday!

Comment

I know overheating the cylinder can be a major problem, especially on the 1st gens. How much did the bigger turbo help you? How much of the 740lbft can you use before you have to back out of the go pedal?
        Very nice truck!

Comment

Randy,

I haven't changed my turbo...only the housing. I'm planning on a turbo change but am researching the best route for my application which is towing.

Around town it's impossible to get the exhaust temperature anywhere above 900 degrees with the stock turbo. Running lite it's also impossible to get the exhaust temp over about 1200 no matter how big the hill.

Towing is a different matter I'm afraid. If I have say a 10,000lb load & aproach a hill with the truck on cruise control the exhast will reach 1300 within only minutes & you have to back off or BIG problems! Changing the turbo is one avenue to help the engine breathe. Head porting is another way & I'm sure there are many more.

I'm being told this: Install a big turbo & you'll get really good power when towing but poor power off the line. Big turbo's take a long time to spool up & get the boost making power for you. Install a small turbo & you'll get great power off the line if you want to race around town. The other advantage to the small turbo is it spools very quickly & really cleans up your smoking problem off the line.(These trucks smoke pretty good with the bigger injectors).

Option three & really the Cadillac of systems is the twin turbo set up. You get your small turbo spooling quickly making power off the line & cleaning up your exhaust, then you have your large turbo making big boost for your towing performance. Any of the available turbo upgrades will make your exhaust temperatures run WAY cooler.

Mark at PDR doubts I could get my truck over 1250 degrees with the twin set-up under any condition & could expect HP over 350 & torque near 900ft/lbs.(Mark's First Generation truck was dyno'd at over 370HP with an experimental Garett ball bearing turbo. He claims that this is the turbo to wait for...not available yet)

Hope this answers your question, but yes, a bigger turbo will definitely make a First series Cummins run cooler when combined with a bigger exhaust system.

Comment

Ha!Ha!

Originally posted by Gordon Maney
            Is your engine modified to produce that kind of torque?

Also, WOW.... what a bed liner. I think you need to tell us about that.

A beautiful truck!

You could send a sympathy card to that Ford guy...
            Gordon! Marty IS that ferd guy! ha!ha!
            Nothing worse than a converted 'anything'!... I have created a monster!
            It is going to be nauseating next year at Hollister, listening to Marty talk about "Mopar this" and "Mopar that",...boost and temps.... I sure hope he gets it out of his system before next April...ha!ha!
            MN

Comment

Norman,

See that's where your wrong my friend, I love all the trucks! Yes, It was fun watching the dissapointment on that guys face but in all reality if you love crewcabs as I do, I still think the Ford is the way to go.

I honestly believe in 2003, if you want a bone stock work truck & have no intention to boost the power, go with the Dodge. If the Ford wasn't having engine oil leaking problems I'd go with the Ford because I believe the Body is better constructed & it's a bigger truck. GM? I like the transmission & that's as far as I can go!

I have come a long way Norm but more than anything I just like giving you guys a hard time. I still own the Ford & it's still the best truck I've owned!

How do you like them apples?

Comment

I Guess He Don't Like Them Apples!
                Last edited by Gordon Maney; 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM.

Comment

close to topic

I see you are talking diesels, this guy buddha has an awesome 1999 Cummins Dodge. This thing goes almost 12.00 at 111 mph in the 1/4 mi. This thing is something to see. Heres a link to his site. NO PROPANE, NOS & a single turbo.

http://www.buddhapower.net/default.htm

Comment

I just looked at that Buddha site.

Holly Squat, Batman!

Comment

Yes, when I was at Piers there were several trucks there that are under 12 in the 1/4 mile....that's just crazy!
                      The truck that did best on the dyno on Saturday turned 752HP on regular diesel!
                      Can you imagine?

Comment

Working...
                      X