diesel swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diesel swap

Has anyone ever swapped out their 360 V8 and put in a Cummins deisel engine instead? I spoke witha fellow the other day who had a 1980 W200, and said he had a '93 Cummins deisel he was going to put in. He said that it should drop in with maybe modifying the radiator support. Any news on this? I have a '79 W200 Club Cab.

Calling Russ/Wyo

Russ in Wyoming did a Cummins conversion on his truck but I'm not sure what year his truck is. I'm sure he can answer all your questions.

Comment

Yo Marty & Mr. Kelly

My swap actually involved installing '87 Dodge 1/2-ton 2-wheel drive, gas engine cab and box on a fully equipped '91 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel 4-wheel drive frame and running gear. A lot different than plopping a CTD into a gas engined frame. I had to splice the cab floor from the 4-wheel drive cab into the floor of the 2-wheel drive cab. I also had to replace the entire wiring harnesses inside the dash and under the hood with the CTD harnesses. My daughter was 13 at the time, and her small hands were just the thing to do most of the wiring harness swap. We both learned a lot about building trucks with this project.

I just don't know how difficult it would be to install a CTD into a truck frame meant for a gas engine, but I suspect it wouldn't be too tough. I think the frame was the same for the gas and diesel engines in '91. I still have some parts left over from the swap if you need any.
      Attached Files

Comment

The 88-93 diesel Dodge 4X4 trucks have way beefier springs and Dana 60 axles under the engine for a reason. Anyone know what a CTD weighs?

Don

Comment

The Cummins engine weighs about 1250lbs... by it self... so if you are swapping... you'd better have a hefty frame and front springs. I know a few guys that have actually bent their 3/4 and one ton frames with modified Cummins engines... so a 1/2er would bite the dust pretty quick if you were to tow with it.

The better idea is to start with the 3/4 or one ton frame and axles, that way you can actually tow and haul with it.

My 2 cents...

Comment

The Cummins is VERY heavy, and you'll definitely need heavy front suspension. Start with at least a HD 3/4 ton and use Cummins spec front drive axle and springs...

A complete donor truck is the way to go, lots of Cummins specific parts to come up with otherwise...

JS

Comment

Hi all, I'm new to this forum (first post) but I seem to remember that when the Cummins first came out. The big reason for being so much more expensive than the regular pickup was the diesel required a different cab.

I think it had a different firewall that gave the extra room needed for the long Cummins engine. This is kinda of a dusty memory I have. I wish I could say this for certain. The newer body style was designed with this in mind so it wasn't a problem.

Comment

Cabs identical

Read my post a bit further up on this thread. The cabs were nearly identical except that the floor hump of the 4X4 version was higher than the floor hump of the 2X4 version to clear the transfer case.

Comment

it will bolt right in you have have to cut the extension off the rad mount it will need bigger sping in the front the stock 83 one tons lasted about a week LOL George

Comment

Working...
                  X