need conversion info... for 1968 M615 Military Ambulance 1 ton 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need conversion info... for 1968 M615 Military Ambulance 1 ton 4x4

I'm interested in putting in a Diesel engine. If anyone has done this type of conversion on this type of truck I would be interested in any feedback you may have for me. I would prefer to buy either a new diesel engine or rebuilt one without having to buy an entire bread truck. I also intend on putting disc brakes all around and power steering. If you know anyone I can contact for these parts I would be greatful for the information.

Paul

Originally posted by Jumbopriz View Post
    I'm interested in putting in a Diesel engine. If anyone has done this type of conversion on this type of truck I would be interested in any feedback you may have for me. I would prefer to buy either a new diesel engine or rebuilt one without having to buy an entire bread truck. I also intend on putting disc brakes all around and power steering. If you know anyone I can contact for these parts I would be greatful for the information.

Paul
    search, lots of info on the web, this site and others. call 1-800-DIESELS which is cummins and they can provide you with a 4bt 3.9l, or a 5.9l or a 3.3. you should be able to pick up a factory reconditioned engine for about 8000.00 and up dollars.

charles talbert, of mseriesrebuild may sell you a new one too.

Comment

Yes, and Charles Talbert can do the whole job including brakes, very fine work, too!

It's a pretty big job with a lot of fabrication usually needed. There are many choices of engines, 4BT being very good, or Hercules, Perkins etc. plus various tranny and drivetrain choices. If you have the tools and experience it can be done at home.

1st determine the intended use, 4 wheeling, cruising, travel, towing whatever, then plan out the drivetrain. Because of the narrow power band, from 1,000-2,500 rpm's, most guys want a 5 speed manual. Axle ratios would then be figured by cruising speed/tire size/rpm. With a Cummins and most others you need an engine adapter plate, flywheel, clutch, hydraulic clutch assembly, bellhousing, starter, tranny, new driveshaft and HD u-joints, tranny crossmember, fabricated motor mounts & rubber isolators, new 3/8" & 5/16" fuel lines for supply & return, possibly a fuel tank or clean the old one, complete new exhaust at least 3" if not 4", possibly some firewall and floors mods, rewiring for the simpler diesel system, gauges such as pyrometer and boost to protect engine, cooling system upgrades including radiator, adaptation of aftercooler if so equipped, and a few other 'this & that' items I forgot.

Very large project but it can be a lot of fun and one fine machine when you're done!

Comment

I re-read your post and see that it's a '68 M-615 which means you could possibly install a Cummins 6BT. That means you could buy a complete donor/wreck Dodge CTD and have 95% of the parts already there. In that case it's much easier just swapping parts, but still a job to keep you busy for a while. Keep us posted of your plans and discoveries!

Comment

Thanks for the info...another question...I heard there's a guy up in Oregon that sells a conversion kit for a 318 gasoline engine. Does anyone know anything about that?

Comment

Well, he moved away from Oregon but here's his website:

http://www.uglytruckling.com/

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbopriz View Post
              Thanks for the info...another question...I heard there's a guy up in Oregon that sells a conversion kit for a 318 gasoline engine. Does anyone know anything about that?
              Ray's kits are great! If you decide to go 318, use the Poly, its twice the motor that the 318LA is.
              Where abouts in SoCal are you located?

Comment

Working...
              X