Hercules VS Cummins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hercules VS Cummins

I am considering doing a diesel conversion on a 1960 WM300 Flat Fender Power wagon and was wondering which diesel would provide me with the least amount of headaches? I have seen the kits offered by MARS for the Hercules Diesel and I have also had a little experience with the 4BTA Cummins. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There is a nice write up about the Hercules in the PWA.
    My preference is the Cummins. There are tons more Cummins parts than Hercules and many, many Dodgers have gone the Cummins route.
    Cummins bolts directly up to Dodge NP4500 transmissions and many of the same parts that work on a 6BT, work on the 4BT.

Comment

Cummins diesels

Check out our Cummins installations on the photo/client pages of our website shown below.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Talbert View Post
        Check out our Cummins installations on the photo/client pages of our website shown below.
        For your convienence....

Link

Comment

Cummins is what you should look to put in there.

If one desires to install a Hercules in an M37 or otherwise, a phone call to Mr. Talbert is worth far more than its cost.

Also be aware of the series I/series II Hercules engines. For anything over a Jeep Cj in size, the series II should be the only one considered.

Note, I'm not sour on the series I Hercs, just glad I don't have much invested in mine. I learned of the differences post purchase though and likely would not have bought if I knew then what I know now. For certain applications they can be a very inexpensive ~4 liter turbo diesel that is a good match to the job. For what we're talking about here the series II is the only one to be considered.

Ken
          (owner of two series I Hercules 3.7 turbo diesel engines)
          PS, if you are considering a specific engine, I can tell from basic pictures if series I or II.

Comment

Working...
          X