Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death wobble- just experienced it, yowse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death wobble- just experienced it, yowse!

How many of you guys have experienced the death wobble in your pre 2003 Dodge Cummins powered trucks?
    I just did recently and it was scary. My truck has only 70 k on it.
    After extensive research on the TDR site, I figured out the problem and I believe have it corrected, but have not had a true test yet...going over railroad tracks at 65mph!
    So far my fixes have been:
    TIghten the Lukes link on my track bar with a shim. (It had loosened up on me).
    New Moog (greasable) tie rod ends (the right side had play in it).
    New steering damper (mine was shot, no fluid left)
    New shocks (not sure of status, but probably weak with the heavy diesel and 6 years.

Option not yet taken is to also add a DSS steering stabilizer

Dave,
    You failed to mention "Ball Joints"
    Surely you checked those?
    There a Problem area on these trucks.
    TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Tom,
      You are so right, I forgot to mention ball joints.
      I had my ball joints replaced 20k miles ago. BUt, as part of the inspection it is important to look at that too, as they often contribute to the death wobble too.
      If any of you all have never experienced the death wobble, it is very scary. Words cannot describe it, but the vibration produced feels like the front end is going to fly apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
        How many of you guys have experienced the death wobble in your pre 2003 Dodge Cummins powered trucks?
        I just did recently and it was scary. My truck has only 70 k on it.
        After extensive research on the TDR site, I figured out the problem and I believe have it corrected, but have not had a true test yet...going over railroad tracks at 65mph!
        So far my fixes have been:
        TIghten the Lukes link on my track bar with a shim. (It had loosened up on me).
        New Moog (greasable) tie rod ends (the right side had play in it).
        New steering damper (mine was shot, no fluid left)
        New shocks (not sure of status, but probably weak with the heavy diesel and 6 years.

Option not yet taken is to also add a DSS steering stabilizer

Doc,

I went through this myself with my 1996 dually. At the end of the day, I built my own stabilizer based on the DSS design. That cured the problem once and for all. I'm not sure why you had to use a shim with your Lukes Link, as they are fully adjustable.

I have built two of the DSS-type stabilizers. At the same time, I replaced the steering gear in both trucks, as they both had taken a lot of abuse to get to the death wobble stage. I have 100K on mine and 75K on the other and they are still gettin the job done.

C.D.
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor
        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Dave,
          Where I got the thought for the shim was after I called Luke's Link for input on re-tightening. The man said to add one of the washers they included in the kit and then tighten to about 35#.
          I had to go a little tighter to get the cotter pin that locks it in to work.
          That is interesting that you made those stabilizers. Do you recall where you bought the big bearing?

Comment

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...t=death+wobble

This guy know about the death wobble. This was his first test run.

Comment

Dave,
              Where I got the thought for the shim was after I called Luke's Link for input on re-tightening. The man said to add one of the washers they included in the kit and then tighten to about 35#.
              I had to go a little tighter to get the cotter pin that locks it in to work.
              That is interesting that you made those stabilizers. Do you recall where you bought the big bearing?
              Now that you mention it, I do remember a thin stainless washer in the kit...I think I keep it stashed somewhere on the truck.

I ordered the self-aligning bearing through NAPA. 1" bore, ran me less tha $25. The real trick item is the special pitman shaft nut. It is turned from hex stock, tapped with the pitman arm thread in one end and the other end turned to fit the bore of the bearing. That cost me under $75. Built the whole thing, painted and installed, in a day.

I like it!

C.D.
              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
              2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
              1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
              1954 Ford 860 tractor
              1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
              UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Coil sprung front ends...

...I can't stand them. I went off of the road in my 88 two wheel drive Comanche when the steering stabilizer let go. I was crossing an old bridge expansion joint at about 55 or so, and went down off of the soft shoulder at the end of the bridge trying to get it to stop.

Good ole leaf springs. Can't beat em. Fewer moving parts and nice solid connections.

Comment

Death wobble report-
                  My modifications have passed the acid test. Today on our trip to the in-laws I went over some bridge repair plates and no wobble!
                  My wife and I are both happy!
                  I think from now on I will once every year or two do an undercarriage inspection to look for front end wear.
                  Thanks to all for the very interesting responses to my original post on the Death Wobble.

Comment

Death wobble report-
                    My modifications have passed the acid test. Today on our trip to the in-laws I went over some bridge repair plates and no wobble!
                    My wife and I are both happy!
                    I think from now on I will once every year or two do an undercarriage inspection to look for front end wear.
                    Thanks to all for the very interesting responses to my original post on the Death Wobble.
                    So Dave,
                    What ended up correcting it?

The adjustment on the link with a shim?

I'm curious.
                    TGP
                    WDX & Misc. Pics.
                    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                    "47" Dodge WDX WW
                    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                    "54" Willys M38A1
                    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
                      So Dave,
                      What ended up correcting it?

The adjustment on the link with a shim?

I'm curious.
                      TGP
                      I think what did the most was tightening up the track bar at the Lukes Link.
                      I believe that the wear in the right tie rod and steering stabilizer may have led to extra forces that accelerated the loosening of the Lukes Link end.
                      THe washers they supply act as shims, to compensate for gradual wear. THis time I tightened it up very well and made sure the cotter was well seated. Changing the other parts made sense too. BTW I bought Bilstein shock absorbers, got a great price at AJUSA in California. They are running a promotion now with an additional $10 off their usual low price for them.

Comment

my brothers 97 one ton dually 4x4 had the death wobble. had 185k on it most in pastures and hauling cows. new steering box, 03 track bar kit, steering box bearing stablizer kit, change out tie rod ends and an alignment. all better. he had been driving it with the shakes and i told him it just beats up the front components til you need them all. his would start because he had warped front rotors but thats another story

Comment

I never experienced this until I was in our St. Louis station. They have some old Ford F250's that have the DW. Over 50mph, hit a bump and the steering wheel starts tank slapping like a crotch rocket. I found out the hard way and almost crashed the truck. The guys from that station called it the "HOLY F!!CK Speed Control Device."

Comment

Originally posted by Sphere View Post
                            ...I can't stand them. I went off of the road in my 88 two wheel drive Comanche when the steering stabilizer let go. I was crossing an old bridge expansion joint at about 55 or so, and went down off of the soft shoulder at the end of the bridge trying to get it to stop.

Good ole leaf springs. Can't beat em. Fewer moving parts and nice solid connections.
                            The type of springs has NO bearing whatsoever upon a front end shimmy condition. The Shimmy (or death wobble as you newbies call it) has been around since there were 4x4's....It was more common in the 60's with the rudimentary designs of the early front ends and the advent of larger tires.
                            The cause is worn or misaligned parts, not the spring type.

Comment

got to agree with moparnorm on that i have had a couple of the leaf spring 4x4s go nuts on me. caster and old parts were part of the issue. 12x15s on a cj5 with a four inch lift was the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X