5.9 Cummins powered NV4500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.9 Cummins powered NV4500

I am currently holed up in little motel, outside Cleveland, Ohio. My 1996, 3500 dually 4x4 ate both 5th gear and the main transmission shaft splines. As the dealer is no longer able to get that main shaft, I had one shipped overnight from my gear guy in Cheyenne. Apparently, this is an updated shaft, but it still uses the same clamping nut to hold it in place.

This is going to be an expensive repair, not to mention an unplanned, extended motel stay. Does anyone know in what way the updated shaft has been improved? As far as I can tell, it only has some more threads where the nut threads on. The guys doing the rebuild are telling me that the updated shaft uses some type of clips to aid keeping the nut in place. My gear guy says no.

So, what's the story?

C.D.
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

From the disclaimer about parts availability, I am unsure if these mainshafts are still available, but here is some interesting information. I have purchased parts from this guy, notably ball joints and a very nice ball joint press suited for the Dodge trucks.

http://quad4x4.com/Dodge%2094-04%20NV4500.htm
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

http://www.standardtransmission.com/dodge.html
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
        From the disclaimer about parts availability, I am unsure if these mainshafts are still available, but here is some interesting information. I have purchased parts from this guy, notably ball joints and a very nice ball joint press suited for the Dodge trucks.

http://quad4x4.com/Dodge%2094-04%20NV4500.htm
        Intersting reading indeed. If I had more time available, I would consider these guys. As it is, I am trying to "get to the church on time". My daughter is to be married on the 14th and I was supposed to be there this weekend to do some work on their new house. Now, I'll be lucky if I make it to the reception dinner Friday night. I hope to be underway again by Wednesday at the latest.

As I mentioned, I supposedly have the upgraded mainshaft in hand. I see some of the wear discribed in the links you provided. That will all be replaced. I installed a new pilot bearing 30K ago, when I replaced the input shaft, seal and bearing. I will be sure the dealer replaces it again.

Thanks for your input...hope to see you on the return leg.

C.D.
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor
        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Working...
        X