No announcement yet.

New Cummins 325/600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We be dieseling today! Doesn't seem to have the response that the V10 had, but I am just getting used to the new vehicle. Shifting is a little strange, feels like I could start out in third. Never had a six speed before. Now I have to put on all my accessories.

Frank

Comment

Shame on you.

Where are the required pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Cimoch
        Is anyone using a Cummins in a colder climate? Last week were below zero for most of the week. Do these require special equipment and fuel additives for cold weather?
        I am sure that someone living in Northern Minnesota would not feel that Iowa is cold, but we get a lof of 0 degrees F, and can get down to typical lows for winter of -12 to -14 F.

I typically plug in my truck when it gets below 20 F, although I can't plug it in at work. I have had it start just fine down to about 0 degrees F. I don't mean it would not start colder than that, I have just never personally tried it. I have talked to people who have successfully started their Cummins down to -20 degree F.

I always use a fuel conditioner for the prevention of gelling when it is in the part of the winter when it could be 20 degrees F or below. I know our fuels are blended here, but I have seen friends and neighbors who have had that blended fuel gel. My advice, always use an anti-gel when it is very cold.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons
          We be dieseling today! Doesn't seem to have the response that the V10 had, but I am just getting used to the new vehicle. Shifting is a little strange, feels like I could start out in third. Never had a six speed before. Now I have to put on all my accessories.

Frank
          When a gas driver first operates a Cummins powered truck, the tendency is to stay in gear too long, winding it out like a gasser. Shift soon, the acceleration comes from torque, not RPM.

Get into the pedal and shift.... after you have completed a shift make another one. [I am talking about running empty here....]

Do that a bit, and you will see how the diesel can be just as responsive in a higher gear. In the right gear, the torque can just about throw you though the back window.

Mine is a 2001 HO with 6 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney:
            [Do that a bit, and you will see how the diesel can be just as responsive in a higher gear. In the right gear, the torque can just about throw you though the back window.]

In the first couple of weeks that I had my 90 CDT I made a mistake which left quite a impression . It was and is a well worn truck and the transmission shifter is rather loose. Any way, I was going to take off down the driveway and thought I had it in 1st gear.

I let the clutch out a ways, and started to take off at what I asssumed was full speed for first gear at an idle. So thinking that the clutch was fully engaged I let my foot off the clutch.

Well I heard the engine pitch change, before realizing what was happening, as my head bumped against the headrest. Now the truck was moving down the drive way a lot faster than 1st gear is supposed to go.

All of this is to say,that I descovered that the motor does not care if you are in first or third, and that was with out touching the throttle.
            I was impressed, by its torque, and my ignorance as a operator.
            Jason

Comment

Well Gordon is right, this truck is like driving a Power Wagon, not too fast on takeoff like the V10, but I really love the mileage. I filled my tank for the second time today. Computer says 19.2 but actual is 20.88 miles per gallon (615 miles, 29.4 gallons). Have not towed the trailer yet, just got the gooseneck hitch installed last weekend. Starting to like this rig.

Frank

Comment

i own a 2003 ram

Hey how is it going guys? I am a us Marine currently in Iraq. I will be home in a month or two. I just bought a used 2003 dodge ram 2500 with a 2.9 cummins. I am so stoke about the truck. Question tho, is there any problems with these trucks that I need to keep a look out for? this is my first diesel truck. How long should i go in between oil changes with it?
                Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh03RaM2500 View Post
                  Hey how is it going guys? I am a us Marine currently in Iraq. I will be home in a month or two. I just bought a used 2003 dodge ram 2500 with a 2.9 cummins. I am so stoke about the truck. Question tho, is there any problems with these trucks that I need to keep a look out for? this is my first diesel truck. How long should i go in between oil changes with it?
                  Josh
                  They are pretty hard on ball joints, but there is nothing you can do to make that better.

The oil change interval is somewhat of a personal matter. I would not go beyond 5,000 miles, and if you are pretty intense about it you might go as often as 3,000 miles.

Thank you for serving. We are proud of you.

Comment

Thanks for serving, Josh, WELCOME HOME!

Comment

Welcome to the Cummins diesel club, Frank! You won't be sorry. Now you have no excuse for not joining us in Moab!

C.D.
                      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                      1954 Ford 860 tractor
                      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Wow, surprised to see replies to the old post! My truck is almost 5 years old now and I have been happy with the purchase even though diesel fuel is way up in price. My fuel mileage has been very good, so far the best has been 24.5 MPG. I have have been getting roughly 750 miles per fill. Pulling my trailer with truck on it (10,000 lbs) about 12 mpg, not as good as I had hoped. V10 got 10 mpg with the same setup.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                        X