Calling all tire experts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheel size problems

Cheyenne Dave...is your tire store checking in a "trade" book that lists all wheels from all manufacturers ? The "Hollander Book" lists size, bolt circle diameter, offset and also the mfg stamping # (that is either by the valve stem hole or backside rim )

vehicle mfg'rs usually have several different wheel options for each model based on powertrain / axle options

this Hollander book will give you the stamping code you need in your search for a larger wheel that you need.

a recycler / junkyard computer search with the desired Hollander# & stamping # could resolve your search

also, if you see a truck that has the wheel / tire combo that you seek, check to see if it has the stamping # by the valve stem hole and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred_M View Post
      If you go to aluminum wheels you can run larger tires as the wheels are thicker,
      most run steel inner and aluminum outer
      That dosen't help much if you do a 6 wheel rotation, as I do. I have found a solution...see next post.

C.D.
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by rickt4498 View Post
        Cheyenne Dave...is your tire store checking in a "trade" book that lists all wheels from all manufacturers ? The "Hollander Book" lists size, bolt circle diameter, offset and also the mfg stamping # (that is either by the valve stem hole or backside rim )

vehicle mfg'rs usually have several different wheel options for each model based on powertrain / axle options

this Hollander book will give you the stamping code you need in your search for a larger wheel that you need.

a recycler / junkyard computer search with the desired Hollander# & stamping # could resolve your search

also, if you see a truck that has the wheel / tire combo that you seek, check to see if it has the stamping # by the valve stem hole and go from there.
        Thanks for everyones input.

The short term solution, which is what I'm going for now, is to go with a Yokohama 10ply 7.50 x 16. As I mentioned elsewhere, this tire is very close to the height as a 235R85 x 16, and almost as narrow as the 215's the stock wheel was designed for.

I was not aware of the Hollander book mentioned by Rick. It may be the best idea to shop for a stock wheel that will dual up 235's, and that's what my next tire set will be. Lots of tread and highway options available in that size. These 7.50 x 16's won't be around forever...

Thanks Rick!

C.D.
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Dave, heres what I know. I bought a 1999 3500 new it came with 215's, I wore out my first set of tires before the truck was six months old. I had the same problem your talking about, at the tire shop they put on a set of 235's because I thought the stock 215's looked gay. They first put on Michelin's, they were very close (empty truck no weight in the bed) to rubbing in the back, so we pulled them off and put on a set of Goodyear's, they had alittle more room, but were also closer then what I wanted, last we mounted a set of Firestone steeltex 235's and they had quite a bit larger gap, then the other two brands. The Firestone had a squarer shoulder, and didnt seem to have as much of a bulg in the side wall when mounted and aired to max 80 psi. So I ran those, on more the occasion, I put more weight on the rearend of that truck then then factory had them rated/spec'd for, and never once did they rub. They did get closer when loaded heavy, but they never rubbed.

Now heres the kicker, When the 2000's Ram hit the lot I saw that the 3500's had a little bit different stance to them. When I looked at them closer, I saw that they had 235's on right out of the factory. Then I looked even closer, and noticed that they had a lager gap in between the two back tires. After some measuring I found out that they had a greater off set, then the rims on my 1999 3500. So next time I needed a set of tires I found a set of take off rims from a 2000 3500, (just to gain some more room) and ran those, and I had all the room one could ever want. Plus they give the truck a little bit wider stance in the rear.

The only thing I didnt like about the 2000 and newer rims are that they have 7 small vent holes in the rims, and they are painted black. The ones that were on my 1999 when it was new had four larger vent holes and were painted silver/greyish. Now were the lager VS smaller vent holes made differance (not the color) was when I was at a truck stop and wanted to check tire pressure's in the rear I found I could not get my hands thru the smaller vent holes to get ahold of the vavle stem cap. Which was not always a bad thing as long as I could find a girl with smaller hands. By the way when I sold my 1999 3500, I kept the take off rims for the newer trucks that will take a 235 with plenty of room.

Sorry for the long post, Matt

Comment

matt's wheel solution

MATTSOLDMOPAR --not a long post-informative & well stated--very specific

Comment

Originally posted by mattsoldmopars View Post
              Dave, heres what I know. I bought a 1999 3500 new it came with 215's, I wore out my first set of tires before the truck was six months old. I had the same problem your talking about, at the tire shop they put on a set of 235's because I thought the stock 215's looked gay. They first put on Michelin's, they were very close (empty truck no weight in the bed) to rubbing in the back, so we pulled them off and put on a set of Goodyear's, they had alittle more room, but were also closer then what I wanted, last we mounted a set of Firestone steeltex 235's and they had quite a bit larger gap, then the other two brands. The Firestone had a squarer shoulder, and didnt seem to have as much of a bulg in the side wall when mounted and aired to max 80 psi. So I ran those, on more the occasion, I put more weight on the rearend of that truck then then factory had them rated/spec'd for, and never once did they rub. They did get closer when loaded heavy, but they never rubbed.

Now heres the kicker, When the 2000's Ram hit the lot I saw that the 3500's had a little bit different stance to them. When I looked at them closer, I saw that they had 235's on right out of the factory. Then I looked even closer, and noticed that they had a lager gap in between the two back tires. After some measuring I found out that they had a greater off set, then the rims on my 1999 3500. So next time I needed a set of tires I found a set of take off rims from a 2000 3500, (just to gain some more room) and ran those, and I had all the room one could ever want. Plus they give the truck a little bit wider stance in the rear.

The only thing I didnt like about the 2000 and newer rims are that they have 7 small vent holes in the rims, and they are painted black. The ones that were on my 1999 when it was new had four larger vent holes and were painted silver/greyish. Now were the lager VS smaller vent holes made differance (not the color) was when I was at a truck stop and wanted to check tire pressure's in the rear I found I could not get my hands thru the smaller vent holes to get ahold of the vavle stem cap. Which was not always a bad thing as long as I could find a girl with smaller hands. By the way when I sold my 1999 3500, I kept the take off rims for the newer trucks that will take a 235 with plenty of room.

Sorry for the long post, Matt
              Thanks Matt! I always thought there had been a change in offset, just didn't know when. I'll keep my eye out for a newer set for next time.

C.D.
              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
              1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Dave,

I still have that set of 6 rims I bought for my 1999. I kept them when I sold the truck. They have been sitting around for a while now, (could use a coat of paint now) and I dont know that I will ever use them again. So if you ever get down my way let me know, I would sell them. I could send you some photos of them if you think you might be interested.

I am only about 143 miles due east of you on I-80, then south about 33 miles on hwy 385, it would say about 2-1/2 hours drive. There is a small chance I might be going thru Cheyenne in a week or so, nothing is wrote in stone yet about that trip, but might be a chance.

Comment

Matt, I was in your neighborhood just two weeks ago! Do you, or did you ever have your trucks parked close to I-70? If so, I may have stopped in to visit a few years ago and never found you.

It's a fer piece to get down your way, I travel through Rifle on my way to Moab. I'm 3 or 4 hours from Keystone, depending on which way I go, and that's an hour and a half from you. I-80 West past Rawlins, and south to Rifle on 13 is about 250 miles...it's 100 miles from 1-80 down to Rifle.

Perhaps we could meet somewhere, or if you are planning a trip this way, you'd be a welcome guest if you needed a place passing through Cheyenne.

The big thing here is to confirm the backset for these wheels. Maybe you could lay a straight edge across the bolting face of one of the wheels and measure down to the edge of the wheel. I can compare that to my own and see if you have what I'm looking for.

How much do you need for the set (6)?

Good of you to make contact!

Thanks,

Dave
                  1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                  1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                  1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Dave, yes I used to keep of bunch of my trucks right off of I-70 in the GJ area, when I lived over in Rifle. Thats what has kept me busy the last few months, moving them all. I need to change my location now that I dont live over there anymore. I just have not figured out how to yet. I now live south of Julesburg Colo, (the backside of Nowhere) about a half hour.

Those directions are the old ones from your place to Rifle I know those roads all to well over there. I looked on Mapquest from here (back side of Nowhere) to Cheyenne is what I stated above. 143 miles due east of you on I-80, to Julesburg, then south about 33 miles on hwy 385, it would say about 2-1/2-3 hours drive.

I think this photo should get you the same measurement you were looking for. I lay'd one of the rim's flat (with no tire) on my trailer deck and put the tape from the deck to the top edge of the rim is 9 inches.

The second photo is of my 2000 Ram 3500 (bought few months ago) with the "type" rims in question wearing 235 85 16's, the factory stock size, just to show you how much room there will be.

As far as price, I guess I would take $350 for the six of them, if you want more photos let me know.

Comment

Well, you did say east, and that confused me...thought you were still in Rifle.

My wheels are on the truck, so I can't use the measurement you offer. I need a reading from the bolting face to the edge of the wheel.

Thanks!

C.D.
                      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                      1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

I just took a measurement of my stock wheels. Laying a straight-edge across the bolting face of the wheel and measuring from that edge down to the oustide lip of the wheel, I came up with 1 1/2". If your wheels have a measurement GREATER than that, and are the 8 on 6.5" bolt pattern, I am definately interested.

C.D.
                        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                        1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Dave,

I sent you a email last week, but sounds like you didn't get it. It must be lost in the black hole that Clint Dixon is always telling me about.

Anyways I just sent you another email, let me know if you didn't get it because there is some other info in there as well.

Heres a photo of the measurement, its 1 3/4" remember you times that times two because the two rims bolt together, so the outside rim will sit out farther and the inside sits in farther so it would give you a 1/2 more room, then you have now. Yes these rims will bolt on to your truck, they didn't change the bolt pattern only the offset.

Comment

Yes, that seems to be the answer. I spoke with Jim Lyons at TrueDesign Wheel in Denver yesterday. We had a long talk about modifying existing wheels and trying to find the correct stock ones.

He mentioned that at some point, maybe '03 or '04, that Dodge went to a metric bolt pattern and that those wheels would not bolt up to our 8 over 6.5" bolt pattern. He also said that the wheel-to-wheel spacing never changed from 3" but that the wheel was made wider. Your photo seems to shoot down the point about the spacing.

Clint seems to be right about the black hole thing as I never did get your email. Lucky we have these forums, no?

So I am interested in these wheels, but I bet I missed you on your trip this way. I'll try to send you another email and see if we can't strike a deal.

Thanks again!

C.D.
                            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                            1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Hey Matt!

Are we still having communication problems? I haven't heard anything from you in awhile. If you read this, give me a call. We haven't had much snow yet, but my luck is sure to run out. I'm ready to get my new tires mounted!

Dave

307-631-4146
                              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                              1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Special thanks to Matt Gordon for hooking me up with some used wheels from a 2000 Dodge Dually. They allowed me to get into a set of 235 R85's and the spacing is perfect!

Anybody need and 6 x 16 dually wheels? I have 12 of them...

C.D.
                                1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                                1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                                1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Working...
                                X