Dodge 3 liter from grand Cherokee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodge 3 liter from grand Cherokee

Just curious if one of these from a wrecked truck (still pricey though) would have enough grunt for a PW.

mercedes 3.0 diesel

I would think that it would be plenty of grunt as dodge uses the exact engine now in the sprinter vans. As for hooking up a transmission and getting it to run without needing the entire harness from the Grand Cherokee....

Comment

Here are my two cents (well adjusted for inflation).
      The Mercedes 3.0 V-6 is a dog. It gets worse fuel economy (24 vs 30) and has less power than the Cummins 4BT and it requires the computer for the engine management system and the Bluetec urea cat to be legal in several states in the original weight classification.

It's another bit of vile residue left over from the legacy of the Daimler attempt to destroy Chrysler.
      It speaks volumes about that motor that the Mercedes Sprinter now comes with the Cummins V-6....

Comment

I agree the Harness would be the nightmare in the swap.

I believe the sprinter vans switched from the straight 5 to the Mercedes V6 and not a cummins. They are probably using the same motor as the Grand Cherokee.

The bluetec is Mercedes only and is not available from Chrysler. I started thinking about it because my father in law has the Mercedes option (thought about wrecking his car :)) and the motor is a blast in a sedan. The Mercedes computer has a zillion more sensors and it would definitely not be for the electrically impaired. Allegedly it will send a computer trouble code if a tail light bulb is blown out. I have never driven in an automotive 4BT to know how it was, just many hours in a skid steer that make me nervous.

Comment

OK, let's clear some issues up for you.
          The Mercedes in-line 5 was replaced, in the Sprinter, with a Mercedes 3.0 V-6, in 2007.
          There are NOW, in 2009, V-6 Cummins showing up in the Sprinters. This motor is also earmarked for use in the Dodge Ram and possibly the new 2010 Grand Cherokee.
          BlueTec is the name Daimler gave to the urea filter system used to protect the catalytic converter in the new diesels. It's found on Chrysler and Mercedes products, such as the 3.0 Mercedes diesel in the Grand Cherokee, Sprinter and the Cummins 6.7 used in the Ram.
          To manage the drivetrain and fuel systems the Mercedes computer is vehicle specific, depending upon the vehicle weight, transmission, axle gear ratio, etc. Placing the motor into a vehicle without the computer is illegal in certain states and using the wrong software will not result in good performance.
          The Cummins 4BT will operate just fine without the engine management system.

Comment

I would be worried about the width in a PW engine bay. Mounts could be fabbed but what about the tranny? That may take up a bit of the floor space that is already minimal. I haven't seen this new "v6" engine but have heard about it. Rumor I heard was Ma-par was going to offer it as an option in Ram 1500, Dakota, Durango, and the Jeep line.

Comment

Exactly! While some V-8's do fit in the PW frame, I don't know much yet about the Cummins V-6.
              The tried and true 4BT fits just fine! As does the 318 Poly....with DTA Headers...= )

Comment

Just adding about the Cummins 4BT: even though it's only 3.9L it provides plenty of power and a nice torque curve for a re-power. Capable of phenomenal mileage even in a heavy truck, it's also quite simple. Mechanical injection pump, only one wire needed to control fuel solenoid plus the starter wiring. Needs the right gears and it's pretty heavy, but otherwise great.

Comment

Working...
                X