Power Wagon trip to the Hole in the Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Wagon trip to the Hole in the Rock

Bec and I just returned from 17 days in Moab, Utah. We took the '49 Power Wagon on the Hole in the Rock Trail, about 80 miles West of Blanding, Utah and just North of the Arizona border. This was a 3-day trip on the trail beginning at the Cal Black Airport, and 2 nights of camping about half way to the Hole in the Rock. A few pictures to enjoy.

A stop at Half Track Junction, then I discovered that the left, rear tire was nearly flat! I think the old girls just wanted to share a little company for a bit. That is only the second flat tire I've ever had on a Power Wagon in about 20 years of driving them.

The Power Wagon hauled in most of the camp gear for the smaller vehicles.
    Attached Files

More Hole in the Rock pictures

Frenchie LaChance, our dauntless leader.

All of the vehicles in our group. Frenchie and a couple from California were the only ones not related to our family. The kids adopted them quickly though.

The San Juan River overlook.
    Attached Files

Comment

Utah should steal Tennessee's song--Rocky Top

Comment

Hole in the Wall packmule...

RUSS...great pics... seeing your flatbed just reconfirms my cab/chassis to flattie also...

who says you can't take it ALL with you...

PW = four wheel packmule (FWP) ; > )

Comment

Great Pics

Hey Rus,
          You guys are having way to much fun by the looks of things.
          Nice looking scenery in your pictures.

Comment

More pictures

The 'chute'

Narrow crossing just below the 'chute'

Navajo Mountain in Arizona, just South of the state line
            Attached Files

Comment

That's so cool to see that ol rig runnin with them young pups, and that flat looked like a "modern" tire to me, not a failure of a factory component....I love watching old stuff make new stuff look silly.....like that time my sophisticated self sat down to a checkerboard with my 3rd grade educated grandpa. That tobacco spittin' ol man schooled me that afternoon on some checkers I'll tell ya..Old school rules!

Comment

Nice, Russ! Looks like you are having fun in the best of style, still!

C.D.
                1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                1954 Ford 860 tractor
                1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate the compliments. Both of the flats I've had on Power Wagons have been on STA Super Lugs. They just aren't up to Power Wagon standards, but they do ride much better than 50 year old non-directionals.

We missed you on the Hole in the Rock, Dave. You would have loved it. The next step is to go to Escalante and see the other side of the Hole in the Rock.

Comment

Working...
                  X