Fort Knox Patton Museum Restoration Facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Knox Patton Museum Restoration Facility

Today, I along with the members of the "KILROY" military club that I belong to in Louisville/Indiana had the opportunity to go through the restoration facilities for the Patton Museum at Fort Knox. One of the members of the club had his jeep on display in the museum. Today it was taken off display and he took it home.
    It is amazing the amount of vehicles that are waiting for restoration. WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam. the vehicles and artillery
    are sittting every where. If you ever get a chanc e to visit the Museum I would highly recommend it!!!!
    Attached Files

Another pic.
    Attached Files

Comment

I want one of these!!!
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the great pics Sten-man!

RE: "I want one of these....", ME TOO! Those are one of my top favorites of military vehicles and I had a nice metal toy model of one when I was a kid. But I'm not up on militaria, so what exactly are they? Is that an APC? Do you know the designation or nomenclature? [I'll bet he does....]
        JimmieD

Comment

It's a...

White 1/2 track. Actually, I believe they were built by White and one other company. About the only way to tell the difference is to look at the gauges...they have the company name.

There are two basic versions, one with a winch and the other has the roller. I was told once upon a time what the military designations for the two were, but I have forgotten...M1-A3? that's probably not right...

Dave
          Attached Files
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor
          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

This is what happens to you when you get to drive one...nobody argues with you for a parking space! What a blast to drive!

DAB
            Attached Files
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

OHHHHhhhh-NOOOooohhh! Ha haha, too much, man.

I heard that the roller on front is for negotiating 'tank traps'. Are Volkswagens and Hyundais officially recognized as tank traps yet? Guess I better start saving my pennies 'cause I think I feel an obsession coming on again.
              JimmieD

Comment

Another question: Are they steered with the front wheels like a truck, or do they also use brake steering on the rear treads?

I also wonder if rubberized treads are available anywhere on the planet....?
                JimmieD

Comment

They are steered by the front wheels. The rear tracks are powered by a "conventional" differential and play no part in steering. You drive it just like a truck (a 10 ton truck!). It is covered with heat treated 1/4" steel plate. No worries about run-away shopping carts!

The roller was not nessesarily for tank traps, but for any obstacle such as walls or trees, that might impeed forward movement. The roller would get the front end up and the combination of front drive wheels and rear tracks would take it from there.

Dave
                  1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                  1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                  1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Jersey Devil?

Is that Bob from New Jersey (aka the Jersey Devil)?

Comment

Indeed it is, Bob Decker...Scruffy.
                      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                      1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Half-tracks

Half-tracks were built for four years by four different companies. White, Autocar, Diamond-T and International. Internationals are distinguished by flat front fenders and rounded corners on the rear armor. In WW2 , M3's and M2's were the most common. The M3A1 and M2A1 are the one's with the machine gun pulpit above the passenger seat. The one with the quad .50 is the M16. There were many other variants, but these were the most common. I recently sold my White M2A1. What a blast to drive around town, especially when I had the replica .50 cal and two .30 cal mounted. Nice to have a spotter along as blind spots could be a problem. My current ride, WC-12, is a little more practical.

Comment

What did the half tracks have for an engine?
                          Tim
                          57 Power Wagon
                          Numerous Power Wagon parts trucks!
                          57 W-100
                          60 W-100
                          51 M37
                          61 Triumph TR-3A
                          80 Triumph Spitfire
                          09 Dodge Ram 2500HD
                          05 Subaru Outback
                          10 speed bike
                          Hiking Boots

Sumus quod sumus

Comment

halftracks

Hi Tim, All the half-tracks, except the Internationals were powered by the White 160AX. It is a large gas powered flathead six. I think, just guessing, it was about 360 c.i.d. Gas mileage wasn't too bad, with a single two barrel carb. NOS tracks can still be bought for around 4800.00 a set. The Israelis used half-tracks into the 1970's, so many of those tracks and other parts have made their way into the U.S. Check out Gary Hebding's web site at www.halftracks.com .Gary pretty much has a monopoly on parts although are there others to buy from if you search. Rod Shaver in Arizona and Dave Yamulla in Pennsylvania
                            Last edited by jbell; 02-22-2005, 10:46 PM.

Comment

HALF-TRACK

Here's a picture of my old half-track,1944White M2A1....John
                              Last edited by jbell; 02-23-2005, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X