Sept/Oct trailrides in North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sept/Oct trailrides in North Carolina

The M715 guys are going to get together in Sept or Oct for a ride at Uwharrie NF. They hope to get a date set in the next few weeks (no later than the end of this month).

They'd like to include any of our Power Wagon/M37 guys that would be interested in another ride at Uwharrie since several folks said back in the spring (when we had the Souther Power Wagon/NCMVPA Gathering) that they'd like another run.

The subforum for the SERFE with information about the event is located at:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=71

They have a poll going now (just started) to pick the date and campsite.

I plan on attending in my Cummins powered M37 if they pick a week that I don't already have something planned...

The SERFE (M715Zone Southeast Regional Field Exercise) will be at Uwharrie National Forest, located in central North Carolina near the town of Troy.

Remember, they like Dodge Power Wagons and M37's and have invited us to join them...

Date
    The SERFE regional Field Exercise will be held the weekend of October 10-11-12. Dave plans to arrive either Thursday night or by 9:30 Friday morning, so we can get on the trails Friday also.

Campground
    Unfortunately, the group camp is booked for every weekend in October. We will be staying at Badin Lake Campground, which is a USFS campground located right on Badin Lake. They have showers and flushers. All sites are non-electric. Sites are 12.00 per night, plus the on-line reservation fee of $9.00. You can reserve a site at www.recreation.gov Go to www.recreation.gov and select North Carolina, then for facility name put "Badin Lake Campground".)

ORV Area and Trail Information
    Here is some info about the Uwharrie ORV area:
    http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...harrie_off.htm

Most of the trails can be run, with care, in just about any Jeep or truck. We will start out on easier/milder stuff for the newbies, trailer queens, and restorations, then give them a chance to go back to camp (or another loop on the mild stuff), while others can go on to the more challenging areas.

Trail permits are required, and are $5 per day, or $30 for a season pass (season ends in December each year, so probably not worth it if you don't already have one by October).

You can get your trail permits at the Eldorado Outpost. This is the nearest store to where we will be camping. They also have hot cooked food, ice, gas, etc. Their website is: http://www.eldoradooutpost.com/

Dave’s (who is organizing the event) can be reached at: dp@REMOVEsanlee.com

Comment

I'm having withdraws, and need an outing!

I like what I see, but the Uwharrie National Forest is 820 miles and 13+ hours away.

Anyone looking to start a new off road park in Western KY?
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Will,
        I feel your pain... I wish that we were closer so that you could hit the trails with us, I've been drooling over the photos and posts of your project M37...

One of the reasons that I still live in NC is that I have the ocean two hours to the east, and the mountains two hours to the west... :)

CGarbee

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
          I'm having withdraws, and need an outing!

I like what I see, but the Uwharrie National Forest is 820 miles and 13+ hours away.

Anyone looking to start a new off road park in Western KY?
          Its only about 5 hrs for me and its still to far for me to drive / haul. I am also in the process of building an offroad park on some private land outside Charlottesville Va. Its going to be a few more years before its full swing though. But we are working on it. Its only about 1,000 acres.
          1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

CGarbee,

If Collette had it her way, we'd probably live near you. She loves NC and the Ocean, and I love the hills. We make it to Southern NC for a Beach Vacation every other year, nut the family isn't interested in me stopping and spending a day or two, or three 4-wheeling, so I make the trip truckles.

Alxj64,

A 1,000 acres, that's going a nice park. If I could pick up the right piece of ground, I'd pick it up, and plan for a place to build and have for a retirement site and "job".
            You are 785 miles, 12+ hours from me as well. Oh well I went where the job took me, but some day, some day, I'll get to move where I want, or at least where Collette wants.

Later,
            Will

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

Comment

CGarbee,

If Collette had it her way, we'd probably live near you. She loves NC and the Ocean, and I love the hills. We make it to Southern NC for a Beach Vacation every other year, nut the family isn't interested in me stopping and spending a day or two, or three 4-wheeling, so I make the trip truckles.

Alxj64,

A 1,000 acres, that's going a nice park. If I could pick up the right piece of ground, I'd pick it up, and plan for a place to build and have for a retirement site and "job".
              You are 785 miles, 12+ hours from me as well. Oh well I went where the job took me, but some day, some day, I'll get to move where I want, or at least where Collette wants.

Later,
              Will
              I currently live 40 Minutes from Nags Head NC and spend everyother weekend on the Beaches with my Jeep Wrangler. I'm 3 hrs from where I am building the park on family and neighborhood land. I'm in Chesapeake Va. Where at in NC do ya'll vacation. We often frequent Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo, then on occasion we'll visit Ocracoke. Most Beautiful beach on the East Coast. And the Surf is wonderful there too. Thats my cup of tea.

Comment

In my case...
                The beachhouses (Mom has one, my Uncle has another accross the street) are in Southern Shores, NC (OBX--think Kitty Hawk if you having trouble finding it on a map...).
                The familly farm (about 2k acres) is located in Syria, Madison County, VA, and backs up to the Shenendoah National Park (which took a bunch of familly land when it was created...).

When I retire, I likely will just started making a big loop fron one, to the next, to the next... :)

Call when you hit the beach Will, even if you are down near Wilmington as I'll drive by in my M37 and let you have a "fix" while you're enjoying the sand... :)

Comment

Garbee... Thats funny, because I have Family in Madison and the Project property is in Orange. My CJ-5 still has some Grip Spurs from the same Orange Madison Co-op there in town. They can still get the tires last time I spoke with them. I think you looked at my Red M37 a few years ago when I had it for sale. Its was in Burrhill.

Comment

Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post
                    Garbee... Thats funny, because I have Family in Madison and the Project property is in Orange. My CJ-5 still has some Grip Spurs from the same Orange Madison Co-op there in town. They can still get the tires last time I spoke with them. I think you looked at my Red M37 a few years ago when I had it for sale. Its was in Burrhill.
                    Yep, I recognized you as well.. :)
                    Good to hear that they still can get the Grip Spurs at the Co-Op. I still have a set in the barn that I used to run on my truck (before I went to the Michelins) that I will likely be putting onto my XM708. They are good tires.

I've been talking to some buddies about putting together a spring MV rally/show in the area as a bunch of them would like to be able to do some driving and hate parking/camping on asphalt (as we have to do at the Aberdeen MV Rally in May), so we need to keep in touch if you are putting together an OHV park.

Comment

Alxj64,

We Vacation on Holden Beach, it's the next to last Beach on the southern end of NC. It's about 45 min. from both Myrtle and Wilmington.

Thanks,
                      Will
                      WAWII.com

Comment

Originally posted by CGarbee View Post
                        Yep, I recognized you as well.. :)
                        Good to hear that they still can get the Grip Spurs at the Co-Op. I still have a set in the barn that I used to run on my truck (before I went to the Michelins) that I will likely be putting onto my XM708. They are good tires.

I've been talking to some buddies about putting together a spring MV rally/show in the area as a bunch of them would like to be able to do some driving and hate parking/camping on asphalt (as we have to do at the Aberdeen MV Rally in May), so we need to keep in touch if you are putting together an OHV park.
                        I'll talk to some of the guys that help me take care of the place and we'll try to get something together for the Spring. Would you guys mind if some of our regular trucks tagged along too as either trail guides or to even just watch some of the MVs have fun?

Alxj64,

We Vacation on Holden Beach, it's the next to last Beach on the southern end of NC. It's about 45 min. from both Myrtle and Wilmington.
                        Holden Beach is wonderful. The water is so great there, especially this time of year.

Comment

[QUOTE=Alxj64;61180]I'll talk to some of the guys that help me take care of the place and we'll try to get something together for the Spring. Would you guys mind if some of our regular trucks tagged along too as either trail guides or to even just watch some of the MVs have fun?
                          QUOTE]

That would be great. The more the merrier... :)

Comment

What kind of turn out numbers would we be looking at. I was up there this weekend scouting out new trails that we are going to cut later this fall. I took my M37 through the primary service roads and a few different times it got pretty tight and scetchy and took a good bit of wheel speed (relative to the truck) to get up some of the hills and across some of the ditches. So far the place isn't really suited for ALOT of trucks, but a few would be alot of fun there.

Comment

Working...
                            X