Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

09 rmr

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
    We do that mainly to avoid the game wardens!
    LOL! Do you mean to tell me there is a Dark Side to that fine Texas BBQ I know and love?

Comment

Diesel fuel at '09 RMR

Update: Mt. Princeton Hot Springs has one pump with unleaded gasoline only; no diesel. From the Hot Springs the nearest station with diesel is about 7 - 10 miles one way.

Comment

'09 RMR wrap-up

The rendezvous was a hoot, and should finish tomorrow, 9/12. They kept the campground open just for us, and a good time was had by all, with high mountain wheeling all day, every day. In fact, we set an all-time high altitude RMR record at 13,765', as far up as you can drive on Mt. Antero, according to the Garmin 400i, per the attached photo. How high can carburetors run? I guess we will have to find next year. Stay tuned for more photos in the next week or so.
        Attached Files

Comment

Mt Antero

!
          Attached Files

Comment

more Mt Antero

a big hill
            Attached Files

Comment

Chinamans Gulch

Day one, Terry and Carl up and over an 8"+ vertical wall
              Attached Files

Comment

Mt. Princeton

12,000'+ at the end of the trail
                Attached Files

Comment

'09 RMR t-shirts

Still have a few shirts f/s, $8 + $4 shipping to the lower 48. 100% mil-spec new, Large, XL and 2XL. Email to m37mud at msn dot com.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Home sweet home

M37 with 8' Alaskan on M101
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Keith in CO View Post
                      The rendezvous was a hoot, and should finish tomorrow, 9/12. They kept the campground open just for us, and a good time was had by all, with high mountain wheeling all day, every day. In fact, we set an all-time high altitude RMR record at 13,765', as far up as you can drive on Mt. Antero, according to the Garmin 400i, per the attached photo. How high can carburetors run? I guess we will have to find next year. Stay tuned for more photos in the next week or so.
                      Looks like you guys had a great time! Wish I could have made it but I am still working on my truck, maybe next year. Nice photos!

Frank

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun!

Originally posted by Keith in CO View Post
                        Did Paul make it up from Texas?

Comment

"I was this close..." Maxwell Smart

I started camping out in the early 1950's. In 1961 my local draft board arranged for me to have continued use of half a tent and a sleeping bag for camping in all types of weather. (Yes, water in a canteen will freeze even if you have it in your sleeping bag.)

After 20 years of that type of camping, I camped out at the enduros I competed in. Then it was a tent and cooking gear carried in the trailer behind my touring motorcycle. (I have toured through Rocky Mountain National Park.)

Now that I have camped for over 50 years, I prefer that my camping include a real bed and inside plumbing.

I e-mailed several places in the Nathrop area that featured "inside camping" and asked about reservations. I told them I would be joining other Power Wagon enthusiasts, but never got any responses.

When I was young, having a fancy place ignore my friends and activities was a sure sign that there was going to be some serious partying. Now that I am past young, I still look forward to some serious partying - and then going to bed at 10:00 PM.

I did drive by the Lathrop State Park exit on I-25 the week end before Labor Day. I was in Colorado Springs and at Fort Carson, but was a couple of weeks early for the event at Nathrop. The weather was great. For a Texas guy living in a drought, great weather means precipitation.

In the event pictures, I did see a familiar vehicle from a past Colorado event and would have liked to share some trails with again.

Oh, well... there's next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                            Did Paul make it up from Texas?
                            He may have been driving with me as we looked at:

Frontier Ranch - 5.21 miles away
                            22150 County Rd 322, Buena Vista, CO

Silvercliff Ranch - 5.65 miles away
                            16565 County Road 162, Nathrop, CO

Young Life Trail West - 9.74 miles away
                            18800 Trail West Dr, Buena Vista, CO

Spring Canyon - 10.12 miles away
                            26000 County Road 344, Buena Vista, CO

Adventure Unlimited Ranches - 11.42 miles away
                            18325 County Road 366, Buena Vista, CO

Arrowhead Point Camping Resort - 12.59 miles away
                            33975 US Highway 24 N, Buena Vista, CO

Coal Camp Canyon - 13.02 miles away
                            Buena Vista, CO

Camp Alexander Dam - 14.58 miles away
                            Fairplay, CO

Camp Alexander Reservoir - 14.58 miles away
                            Fairplay, CO

We never found the un-named camp ground, so we came back to my house at Tin Cup and had a nice dinner.
                            Seriously. did I miss reading the NAME of the campground???

Comment

Cg

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                              We never found the un-named camp ground, so we came back to my house at Tin Cup and had a nice dinner.
                              Seriously. did I miss reading the NAME of the campground???
                              Un-named? Chalk Lake was ID'd in this string by both Dave and I in three posts above. Then, there was the not-so-subtle 3' x 10' banner we hung on the CG entrance gate just off the highway with "DODGE" and "WELCOME RODEO FANS", which has been used for many years at RMR events. It is a wonder the guys from Oregon and Texas found the CG without a native guide . . . ;>
                              Last edited by Keith in CO; 09-14-2009, 11:29 AM. Reason: *

Comment

[QUOTE=MoparNorm;73853]He may have been driving with me as we looked at:

Frontier Ranch - 5.21 miles away
                                22150 County Rd 322, Buena Vista, CO

Silvercliff Ranch - 5.65 miles away
                                16565 County Road 162, Nathrop, CO

Young Life Trail West - 9.74 miles away
                                18800 Trail West Dr, Buena Vista, CO

Spring Canyon - 10.12 miles away
                                26000 County Road 344, Buena Vista, CO

Adventure Unlimited Ranches - 11.42 miles away
                                18325 County Road 366, Buena Vista, CO

Arrowhead Point Camping Resort - 12.59 miles away
                                33975 US Highway 24 N, Buena Vista, CO

Coal Camp Canyon - 13.02 miles away
                                Buena Vista, CO

Camp Alexander Dam - 14.58 miles away
                                Fairplay, CO

Camp Alexander Reservoir - 14.58 miles away
                                Fairplay, CO

Seriously. did I miss reading the NAME of the campground???[/QUOT]

I can't imagine where you are getting some of these distances; must be your GPS is loopy. Unless you are hangin with the crows, Fairplay is over 40 miles from Chalk Lake by hard road. However, if you traveled Chaffee County road 162 over to Tin Cup, you rolled right past our camp-site, banner and all. Must be you took Cottonwood Pass...

Seriously, a warm and thankfull attaboy to Keith for picking such neat and clean accommodations with an abundance of links (with addresses) to several alternative sites. My only complaint was that the Mt. Princeton Hot Springs closed so early in the evening. After a day of driving and working out evening meals, it was too much of a rush to get on down to the hot springs. Maybe next year we could "modify" the Alaskan into a portable sauna...

C.D.
                                1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                                1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                                2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                                1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                                1954 Ford 860 tractor
                                1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                                UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Working...
                                X