My Dodge 78 a family item

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dodge 78 a family item

I just recently bought my grandpa's 1978 Dodge adventurer with the 440. My grandpa is not doing so good and he sold his truck to a guy i knew, he has own since it was new and i felt so bad that i didnt get it from him i bought it back with in a few weeks. I am currently restoring it and getting all the autobody work done. I am feeling good about this decision to get a hold of his truck before its too late, that was the first truck i ever drove. To me its more than just a truck, its family, when i am done with it, it will never touch snow and driven only in the summer. I someday hope to give this truck to my kid and he do the same as i have done.

Grandpa's Adventurer

Wow, ok. Reading your post, which was quite some time ago, is like looking into my own life!

I really hope you still have your 78 Adventurer; the one in my family was purchased off the lot by my grandfather. When he passed, he left it to my dad. Does yours have the glove box door that folds down to create a tray-like thing? I love that it has the divot thing for your cup... anyway, I have a lot of great memories of that truck as a child; I learned to drive a stick in that rig!

Unfortunately, it's fallen into disrepair. Like, major disrepair. It hasn't been driven in about 6 years. Long story short, it's sitting in my parents' driveway, and my dad has been given the ultimatum by mommy dearest: fix it or it goes.

Fortunately, I am turning 30 this year and I told my dad that I want the truck as my birthday present; oddly enough he actually agreed (gotta save it from the junkyard!). But now, we're faced with a problem... finding replacement parts. Some of the stuff is standard, which I'm sure you know, but some of the custom stuff is nearly impossible to find. Have you had any luck finding parts for yours? I'm ready to tear my heart out from frustration!!! I really want to do my granddad justice and restore the truck but I'm kinda at a loss at this point.

I hope your Adventurer is holding its own, and if you have any leads I'd really really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Veronica

Comment

Veronica, you did go back a ways for that post. My first truck was a 78 W 250 Club Cab so I know where you're coming from. What are you looking for in particular? There are some body parts still out there but not many. The drive train parts are still mostly available usually at Napa. Post what you need and someone will chime in I'm sure to help since you came to the right place for answers. Don't let them crush it or you'll regret it.

Comment

Welcome, Veronica! What a great and nostalgic save!

It's good to put your state of residence in your signature. You're still secure that way but other owners that may have parts you need can quickly see if shipping is feasible etc.

Right offhand I can't think of a single part for a '78 that isn't available, either new aftermarket or good used. A LOT of those trucks were built and many parts interchange from many years and models. I've owned 7 or 8 of these truck models from '73 to '79 and almost everything was interchangeable except certain drivetrain parts.

Comment

Working...
        X