My story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My story

My dad served in the Army during Korea. When I was growing up and would talk about Jeeps, he always said the Dodge weapons carriers and command cars were much better than Jeeps and the soldiers used them to recover vehicles up to the size of a deuce.

Dad died when I was 13 so that was the end of those conversations but I was hardheaded and got a Jeep when I was 18. I have always liked the Willys CJ and am currently on my fifth one but always wondered about a Dodge.

About 20 years ago, I read an article in a gardening magazine about the civilian Power Wagon and that was all it took. I looked for those many intervening years and passed up several M37's while looking for a civilian truck. I never found one so finally bought a solid M37 about 2 years ago.

The Lord must have had my best interests in mind because it's a great truck and having driven both, I much prefer the military model. I wish Dad could see this one but my stepfather also served during the same conflict so he really appreciates it and said they called them "mess trucks" because meals were often delivered by Dodge. They were also called "squad trucks" but never by the name Power Wagon. I guess that wasn't GI nomenclature. :)

Good Story

Hey Hollis,
    My dad was a Merchant Marine, Chief Electrictrian, ESSO Oil. He enjoyed my truck, but never had a chance for a ride, he passed on January 9, 2003. If I could've gotten him in, he would've fallen out.
    Tell me more about your Black Smithing Skills? Where did you learn them, or are you self taught?
    TTYL,

Comment

Bruce,

I became interested in blacksmithing over 20 years ago when a friend of mine was a farrier (a horse shoer for those that need to know). I began buying and collecting tools and eventually built a fairly complete one man shop. During my busiest time, I had two power hammers, 5 anvils and 5 forges plus a bunch of hand tools. Because I was doing a lot of craft work, I worked several jobs simultaneously and trust me, that is exactly where the phrase "too many irons in the fire" came from. The 25 lb Little Giant is now gone and the 100 lb Beaudry power hammer remains. My grandfather was a smith (wasn't everyone's?) but he really worked in my shop before his death at 90 and was good at agricultural work. I made fireplace tools, gates, grilles, etc., which he called "monkey work". The only thing he liked was when I sharpened sweeps.

For several years, the craft work went to a wholesale house so I got pretty fast at doing certain things. This was all part time but paid for Christmas every year for quite a while. I worked 8-5 at an office job and went to the shop every night until 10 or 11, then worked all day Saturday. I am primarily self taught but have had several well known smiths in my shop for group seminars. I have also held several officer positions in the Texas Artist Blacksmith Association and was Editor of the newsletter for several years. I'm 44 and my arm is not so long winded anymore but I can still swat a fly. :) Now, I primarily demonstrate in folk festivals and make things for fun.

Like I said, I'm fast at certain things and once got in a big argument with another smith at a festival because he thought I was making J-hooks too quickly. He felt it should take 15 minutes per hook so he could get $5 apiece but I made about one per minute and got $3 per piece. We had a little contest but I lost in the end because he was in charge of the festival and I never got invited back (too bad...)

What is your interest in the craft?

Hollis

Comment

Just Curious

Hollis,
        When we moved here, from Baltimore 20 years to the farm in Virginia, there was two small forges, hand cranked. They look a little like a three legged grill. I sure they were used here, one of the sheds that I razed, had most of the tools and large wooden vises mounted on work benches. I have always had an interest, just never had the time. My wife and kidz gave me a Lincoln 3200 welder for my birthday in April, I haven't used it yet, but I am going to take a class at the community college, where I taught for 11 years, before I semi-retired.
        I have been to your neck of the woods, I went to a wedding in Fredricksburg,TX, what a great place, lots of MV Museums. A week is not quite enough.

BTW, We have a Farrier that comes here, 2/3 times a month to tend to the 5 equine residents
        TTYL,
        Last edited by Bruce; 07-01-2003, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Semi retired, I thought that was my line Bruce :-) A friend of mine is a Farrier out here. Neat to watch. I think I would rather be semi retired, it's easier :-) Kurt

Comment

Blacksmithy

It was my Great Grandfather who was in the trade, both as a blacksmith and a wagon maker. At one point he held a patent on a wagon 5th wheel.

My Dad, brothers and myself all grew up in the wholesale hardware business. I still have several of the old catalogs. When my Dad started, they still carried all the tools and equipment for the farrier trade. Maybe that's why I enjoy both wood and steel so much!

Dave
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
            1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor
            1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
            UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Bruce,

Those little three legged forges were designed typically for heating rivets or shoes and it's tough to get any heat out of them even when they are in good working order. If you ever decide to start really playing around, go get one of the big 10x12 or 12 inch round firepots and a good Champion or Buffalo 400 blower. You can still find these at farm sales and antique stores. You can weld up some angle iron into a 3x4 box and line with fire brick then drop the pot in the middle. With good coal (and Virginia is prime coal country), you'll be able to take a welding heat on big stock and won't waste all your time cranking on the little rig. Don't develop 'anvil envy' and get a monster - just try to find one in good shape in the 100 to 150 lb range. Add an old leg vise and a couple of hammers and you'll be set to make most anything you can imagine.

Good luck with the welding class. That's another great skill to learn for anyone who works on old vehicles.

Hollis

Comment

Working...
              X