How I got started on Dodges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I got started on Dodges

I got my first Dodge when I was 16, back in 1965. My dad and I bought a 1947 WD21 1 ton 2Wd dodge truck. I spent many hours fixing it and getting the brakes to work. I also drove it that summer to a summer job. I still have the truck although it is for parts. I saw my first Power Wagon in 1966 when I was in the Youth Conservation Camp. The truck was sitting at the Adams country DNR station. It was shiny green with black fenders, at the time I didn't realize what it was, but the picture stuck in my mind. Fast forward to a 1985 article in the Old Cars Weekly by Tom Brownell titled "War Wagon In Civies". The article was mostly a Power Wagon ad, but it got me thinking and looking for one. Finally around 1988 our local paper had a ad for a 1949 Dodge Power Wagon for $1400. I called the number and went and looked at it. It was faded green with black fenders, the glass was busted, the engine tight, no brakes, the wood in the box was rotted, and a bullet hole was in thdrivers door; but it was all there. I offered $800 for it , but was told that the seller got a $1000 offer if the other guy could get the money. He couldn't and I did. I borrowed a truck and trailer and brought it home. I spent that winter in a unheated garage rebuilding the brakes, the engine, fixing the glass and cleaning it up. That summer I took it to a local car show and got a 3rd place trophy. That set me on a course for a frame off. It took about7 years. I changed the color to red with black fenders and did numerous improvements to it including: disc brakes, Pertonic ignition, overdrive, and 12 volt system. My wife and I hve taken it to the VPW rally a few times and have enjoyed ourselves. Last year at the rally I purchased 2 M-37's, one in good shape and the other for parts. I have rebuilt the engine on it and am having a blast driving it around. I always wanted a convertible and the M-37 fits the bill. I am in the process of replacing the 50 yr. old tires, then putting on a Snake River P.S. unit and just impress the other SUV wannabes. I really enjoy my old Dodges.
Working...
X