Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dads Power Wagon

Well how do I start this ....

My dad farmed, his dad farmed, his dad's dad farmed (are you starting to get the picture?) I remember back to around 1975 him having a Dodge truck but I dont remember the year model, a blue 2wd model in particular (it got stuck alot on the farm) so in the fall of 1978 (I would have been 8 years old) he took ownership of a brand new beige w/ white cap Power Wagon 150 longbox.

Here is where the story hits a big speedbump in the road.

6 or 7 weeks after buying the truck he developed a headache that put him in bed and after laying there for 2 days the medics were called in to take him for a ride to the hospital. So here my dad is 31 years old at the time and we (family) are told that he has just had a large brain tumor burst inside his head. So my pap-pa finished out the harvest season with the help of a few local farmers while dad was in rehab after surgery. My pap-pa made all the payments on the truck and kept it for my dad. My dad did return to farming but on a limited schedule. He would sometimes drive down and check the rice wells when they were pumping water and would occasionally drive a tractor when he felt like it. So as for me I got to learn to drive on the farm roads and some blacktop at a very young age because he was not trusted to drive alone very much because of the siezures he would periodically have. This went on for a year or so only to have the rug pulled out from under him in 1981 when the cancer came back with a vengence and had spread all through his brain. My dad died in the summer of 81 at the age of 34. I was 11 at the time and by a wierd sick twisted version of a modern day hand me down, I was given the use of the truck so that my mom did not have to drive me to the farm everyday after school. The summer of 86 I turned 16 and my pap-pa turned 65 and deceided to retire and sell everything because he wanted me and my brother to go to school and have a better life than that of farming. So when he set all the equipment out to sell he held back my dad's old 78 Power Wagon and told me that I probably ought to keep her and drive her. Sweet!!

So through all the years of owning 2nd vehicles I have always kept her and when my others would lay down and die on me I always had my dads old truck to get me by. I kept it in decent running shape until I had the fatefull amp guage fire after I put on a new altenator several years ago. I parked it in the shop, knowing someday I would fix her and fix it right. It was not until till I found this forum and I am now in the process of fixing the wiring along with a few other minor cosmetic issues.

So here I set, 38 year old and now my son is about to turn 16 so guess what he is going to get....... My Power Wagon?

Heck no. Nobody gets her, the way I see it, thats my dads truck and I plan to keep on looking after it another 30 years.

I owe it to my dad for putting me on the earth and teaching me some hard life lessons at an early age that has made me the man I am today and I owe whats left to my pap-pa for raising me and looking out for us when times were not so good and for helping me keep the truck as that is really the only materialistic thing that I have left of my dad.

I know this is running long but I needed to put all that to words.

If it were not for this site and the information on it I dont know that I would have ever got re-motivated to where I am now to get my truck going again. I plan to restore it to the point that it is my daily driver (not going to take much at all) and keep the memorys alive.

thanks for listening
    Big Joe

That is a wonderful story. I would like you to write a longer version for it, let's get a photo or two of the truck, and I will run it as an article for the magazine. OK?

Great story. I like it. Email me about this....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

big joe's dad's power wagon

BIG JOE... it wasn't long at all...

and the words came from the heart...

i'm sure most of us, thought of our own dad's as we read your passage...

I know I did...

from the tone of your writing...

I think your dad's smiling right now...

thanks for sharing... and welcome to the forum

Comment

I agree, it wasn't long at all. He was saving the long version for the magazine.... :-)
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Long? You were just getting warmed up right? Big Joe we all have stories and with the family atmosphere both here and in the PWA those stories just bring us all closer together. Please share more of your life experiences with your truck. My first 4x4 was a 78 ClubCab 3/4 ton and it was an awesome truck so I know where you're coming from.

Comment

Big Joe,

Welcome to the site, and thank you for the history. My Pop's first 4x4 was a 77 Power Wagon and I know the love you have for the truck. Keep us updated on the progress.
            I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Send it to Gordon!!

Hey Big Joe, I also enjoyed the story. I think you should tell us the whole story with a few pictures and send it to Gordon. I think most of us would agree that the truck sets the stage for the memories with real life experience's and real people.

Comment

Memories!

Big Joe,

That story hits home with a lot of us! My dad drove a Power Wagon brush fire truck when I was a small boy.

I have always loved Power Wagons, and that's what brought me to this forum too.

Comment

Welcome To the Power Wagon Advertiser Big Joe

Everybody already said it, (so I won't) not too long, heart string tugged, Great Yarn too! All Gordon needs now are a couple o' few pictures & YOU are published!

Comment

I got online this morning to check email and look at the weather and I stopped by PWA to see if anyone had viewed or replied to my post.

Never in a million years would I have expected the responses that have been written, (especially from Gordon) so you cant imagine the range of emotions that I went through all day today while working around the house and shop. Gordon I would be honored beyond words to share my story in your magazine. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Gordon I will be in touch with you soon about certain details and in the mean time I will continue my rewireing project so I that I can drive it out of the shop for some photos soon....real soon.

thanks
                    Big Joe

Comment

Thanks Joe, It was nice to read something positive and uplifting this morning. I look forward to reading more in the PWA.

Comment

Thanks Big Joe!
                        I somehow missed this thread, wonderful tribute to your Dad.

Comment

Working...
                        X