56 W600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 W600

any one out there owns one?i looked at one yesterday .going back tomorrow to take some pics. the body appears very solid as well as the frame.it has been sitting for a while,not sure on how long.the owner will scrap it if no buyers and i have first chance on it. she has duals ,dump bed. any info or comments would be welcome. steve from western maine

wrong spot for above post

i was so excited about this truck that i placed it in the wrong spot. steve from western maine

Comment

There used to be a 57 W500 around Tom Beam,Tx a few years back. If the one you found isn't totally demolished it might be worth getting. Don't believe they were too many made and certainly not a whole lot of them left.These trucks typically spent their entire life in the forestry,farming,firefighting and utility industries. Those big axles and transfer cases are probably the most desireable thing on them.Wouldn't mind running across one myself.

Comment

she is not demolished at all ,sheet metal in very good shape for the year ,frame also good,motor not seized ,she had been running ,not sure ,a few years back. the owner died and no onre has used it since. it is mine if i want it and i am going to get her. i plan on a recovery date very soon ,this week end . i want her here before we get buried in snow. i plan on going over tomorrow to take pics,but cant post them on this forum. steve from western maine

Comment

712edf,
          There is, or was, a 59 or 60, W500 near you. I saw it in Frederick, Oklahoma a few years ago. It was in good shape, and appeared to still be in use by a local welding shop. You might want to drive up there some day and see if it is still around. As I recall, it was near the south end of town, in a vacant lot, on the west side of HWY 183. It was visible from the highway.
          Jeff
          Last edited by Jeff in N.Tx.; 07-23-2010, 05:12 PM.

Comment

sunday drive

Thanks Jeff. I'll be sure and go up that way some time and do some roamin around. If you're ever up in the Sherman-Denison area there's a guy named Ron who has a Welding shop just west of Tom Bean,Tx. on hwy 11. I haven't been by that way in a coupla years but he used to have about 15 or so old 60's & 70's W100s,W200s,W300s & various other heavy trucks sitting out beside the shop. Mostly mopar but other stuff too..His 57 W500 had what looked like a grain bed on it,might have been a dump bed.Also had a mid 60's W300 with a winch and some gin poles on the FRONT bumper and pallets of old transmissions,axles and tranfer cases..Quite a collection.

Comment

Thanks,
              Sounds like a good place to check out one of these days when work slows down. I will post a report here if I get up there to look around.
              Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
                Thanks,
                Sounds like a good place to check out one of these days when work slows down. I will post a report here if I get up there to look around.
                Jeff
                All his vehicles and the welding shop are on the north side of the highway,some just inside of town,some a coupla miles west of town on an old farm place. The town is very small. I love driving around the smaller communities of Texas and Oklahoma.That's were the "gold" is. In the world of finance this is known as the "Efficient Market Principle".

Comment

my dad was at an auction and found one of those it was a 300 or 400 4wd with a 345 or 8 v8 and divorsed tcase my dad called the guy about it but we never went back to look at it

Comment

W500 winch truck

I went to Frederick,Ok and found this monster.The driver's side door was wide open so I'm assuming it was driven that afternoon. I'm gonna go back one day when I've got more daylight and see if the owner might be talked into selling it.

Comment

Glad to hear it still is around, and glad you could find it. It is sure a neat old truck. I hope it can be saved by you, or someone, if the owner decides to sell it.
                      Jeff
                      Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                      I went to Frederick,Ok and found this monster.The driver's side door was wide open so I'm assuming it was driven that afternoon. I'm gonna go back one day when I've got more daylight and see if the owner might be talked into selling it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
                        Glad to hear it still is around, and glad you could find it. It is sure a neat old truck. I hope it can be saved by you, or someone, if the owner decides to sell it.
                        Jeff
                        There must be a dozen winch trucks in Frederick.I drove down several streets every time I saw some gen-poles sticking up (it was getting dark out). This particular truck was sitting in the gravel drive of the tin shop building in your photo. A big-a** pit bull dog detered me from getting out and investigating further.

Comment

Steve, did you get the 56 home yet? I would like to see some photos of it if you have any.

You can email them to me

mattsoldmopars@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                          X