Signal Stat model R6 Flasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signal Stat model R6 Flasher

Some would say to just get over it and put a new flasher in the old B1 but I cannot seem to do that just yet. I have a Signal Stat flasher model R6. It is 1" X 1" X 5" long and slides apart. Due to the age (61) it was not cycling correctly. I opened it up to try and see if I could repair it. I cleaned the points and tried it. It worked but very slow. I opened it up again to adjust the tension on the filiment wire and the wire snapped. I tried to use a comparable wire for the filiment-no luck. Has anyone ever had any experience with this type flasher? What is the correct position for the points? Can I use a different type metal filiment as long as the size is correct? Does anyone out there have one of these?
    Attached Files

A sound idea?

I have never seen a flasher unit that old... but if I was looking for some thin, strong wire with high nickel content I would go buy some guitar strings.

Comment

It is probably a bi-metallic wire. As current goes through it, it heats the wire. The metals have different expansion rates causing it to curl when one metal expands more than the other. It would be like the thermostat in your house, electric or heated carburetor choke, and exhaust manifold butterfly.

Comment

Signal stat R6

Thank you both for the info. I will try the guitar string method. The original filiment did seem to be of the same make up. Also, the guitar string probably is two types of metals. Do you think that the bulbs would have anything to do with the cycling? All 4 are 1129 but two are from one manufacturer and two are from another. They come on bright (normal) I just cannot get the system to flash (cycle). This flasher was more than likley part of a Signal Stat kit that was installed on the truck when it was new so it would have signal lights.

Comment

Your cycle time would depend on the amount of current draw. More current equals faster heating equals faster cycle time. You could get more current draw by using lower resistance bulbs, adding additional lights, or through increased voltage.

Does R6 mean 6 volt? If you were using a 12 volt flasher on a 6volt system it may never flash.

Comment

signal stat R6

Kevin, thanks-great info. The R6 probably does mean 6 volt. When I purchased this truck it was in as original condition and this flasher was installed with a signal stat 800 system for directionals. It was never cut up or altered. I have kept it that way with the 6 volt system. Matter of fact, since I have blasted, cleaned and painted everything, all the lights are just as bright as on any 12 volt vehicle. I might loose my mind trying to get this flasher to cycle but I shall be persistent.

Comment

Working...
            X