are all oil filters created equal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are all oil filters created equal???

my 318 has a Pennzoil PZ-34 oil filter... its a tiny pint sized filter.... i would like to find a filter that will hold at least ONE QUART of oil,,,,,,, . . does anyone have part interchange numbers that may work???
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................................

bigger...longer ... better...

a good partsman at your local auto parts store should be able to find a longer filter to for your thread / gasket size.

or you can study the application chart at your DIY parts store, usually similar filters are grouped together for different capacities... ( at the back of the application chart)

good luck

Comment

I believe the PH8A Fram or equivalent is the longer filter.

Comment

Fram ph8a

Fram PH8A is the longer filter that fits LA,B/RB, & a ton of other manufacturers' motors, BUT I have heard tons of NEGATIVE things about Fram filters on multiple websites, including possibly here. Do a search & see if it was possibly discussed here in the past.

Comment

are all oil filters created equal???
          Not only no, but he!! no! They differ in both the design as well as construction.

On the design side they can have different bypass valve pressure ratings as well as threads and case pressure ratings. The advantage is that Mopar has used just about the same filter specs for at least 50 years. My 61 Desoto, my 1993 Shadow, and my 2005 Magnum all use the same filter number, my old Dakota used a smaller filter due to interferences but it had the same specs as the larger filter.

You should be safe with the PH8A eqivalent (NAPA Gold # is 1515, I think Purolator lists it as PL1), the thread count and bypass spring pressures are similar, and it's about the biggest you can get for our application. I've used it in vehicles with the room to accept it. If you don't have the space you can always look into a remote filter adaptor, some even offer dual filters for additional capacity.

As for construction, this is the real dividing line. After hearing the horror stories I've cut open various filter models and can attest to the rumors of Fram's being crap. Some of their higher lines may be better but the generic orange/black Fram filter is junk. Paper end caps, plastic bypass springs, weak glue joints, weak backflow valves, and minimal filter material of questionable quality (as opposed to the NAPA filter which has a metal end cap, metal bypass spring, quality rubber backflow valve, and at least 1/3 more pleats).

Just about anything else is better. I prefer the NAPA Gold filters, which are made by WIX. The Purolators are decent and the PureOne filters are even better. The Mobil1 and K&N are probably the best but you will pay for them, and I personally feel it's an issue of deminishing returns.

There are web sites that have lots of detail about different oil filters. Naturally the design is subject to change, but I still check occasionally and so far haven't seen any real changes in anyones designs. The biggest thing to watch for is re-branding. For instance Mopar brand filters changed from WIX to Fram a few years ago, so while they must be good enough to meet Chrysler's specifications that doesn't mean they are best for the job, just that they're the cheapest filter Chrysler can find that does the job.

Comment

Working...
          X