WC Fuel Gauge Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WC Fuel Gauge Adjustment

I recently had the gas tank of my WC-27 (’41 Ambulance) reconditioned. While I was at it, I purchased a new sending unit. The one on the tank had apparently disintegrated decades earlier.

A previous owner had converted the electrical system to 12V and replaced the fuel gauge with one rated for 12V. But now when I connect them, the indicator on the gauge reads from “full” to “very full.” So I have is a sending unit and a gauge that are incompatible without some tweaking.

From information I gathered on the Internet machine, it appears that I need to add some resistors somewhere in the circuit, but when it comes to electrical issues, I am a complete moron.

I need help determining what resistors to put in the circuit and where to put them. Any advice will be welcome so I can go from “Well I think I have enough gas to make it, and if not I’ve got a can of gas in the back” to “Look! The gas gauge shows half.”

Here are the specifics:
    Fuel gauge resistance range is listed as 240 to 33.5 Ohms
    Sending unit resistance range is measured at 130 (Empty) to 0 (Full) Ohms

Thanks,
    Terry

Terry,
    If a search of this forum is not helpful, there is a ream of information on the plymouth-dodge car and truck forum.
    Look at this among other ones:
    http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_...+gauge+trouble

Comment

you need to match the gauge and the sender

first remove the sender from the tank and hook it up to a multimeter. measure the high and low resistance levels and ascertain what type you have. try to determine if your fuel gauge is 6 volts or 12 volts. most ww2 dodge fuel gauges are 6v and required a resistor on the power side to drop the voltage. the senders were 6volts. if you hook the gauge and sender together in a test bench setting, you will get a better handle on what you need. i purchased a device called a runtz that drops the voltage in a solid state format instead of the heat dissipating type that was used in the orig units. any questions, email me directly.

Comment

Running on empty no longer

Thanks to Doc Dave and mannyc for the help in solving my problem. I now own something called a multimeter and with some fiddling with various resistors have been able to get the gauge to register 1/2 to FULL. I think success is within just a few more trips to Radio Shack.

Terry

Comment

Working...
        X