Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting thread about penetrating oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting thread about penetrating oil...

According to this thread, a home made mix of 50:50 ATF and acetone out performed all the commercial products in reducing the torque needed to free a rusted nut. Also, liquid wrench was almost as good as Kroil and was much lower in price.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/sh...p?tid/1509256/

Loved Kroil for years, forced to let it go though

We have used Kroil & Sili-Kroil for years, great product, however the last case we bought and are currently still using has caused us to lose faith. Not in the product, but its container & its manufacturer. We had a problem with an aerosol can leaking product all over the place when the valve was depressed. I didn't think much about it at first as it had never been a problem. Pulled out the next can, same result as was the next. We are literally wasting at least 50% of the product to uncontollable leakage from the base of the valve. As the issue persisted, I contacted KANO Labs about the problem, acted as if they could have cared less & offered no warranty at all. After 3 calls to them, I just told them I guess we would have to search out a product from another source to meet our needs. Still acted as if they could care less, so when we use up the remainder of product in the bin, I will be searching for a new reliable penetrating oil. As well as I like the Kroil product, I certainly won't continue to buy it & watch half the product land on the floor as wasted.

Comment

One of the things I have appreciated about Kroil is its non-flammability. Acetone/ATF sounds like a winner as far as penetrability goes, but I would be very hesitant to put a flame to it.
      John

Comment

One other thing, if you read farther in the column I posted, it says you have to store the acetone/ATF mix in metal, it will eat plastic.
        I have nearly a gallon of PB blaster. When I am done with that I may try the mixture, or get some liquid wrench which is a lot less expensive than Kroil.
        However, the guy that did the experiment implied the results were somewhat subjective...and so we will see.

Comment

Working...
        X