Not started in 4 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not started in 4 years

I'm picking up an M37 WW all stock and owner stated it ran when he parked it 4 years ago. My present M37 is not stock so I've not tinkered with the ETW1 or stock motor at all. What process/steps should I take before lighting her up. Thanks in advance.

Remove spark plugs. Maybe add Marvel's Mystery Oil to the combustion chambers. Disconnect fuel line going into pump, maybe even remove/drain tank. After letting the oil seep for a while, crank the motor over (plugs out) either by hand or by the starter. Be careful not to get the starter hot. Once you are sure the engine is free and will spin over without issue, proceed to the carb. It will be gummed up or any seals/gaskets dry. You can choose to rebuild it now, or after the engine is deemed good/bad, or put a good one on there for the time being. You're just trying to see if she runs.

While plugs are out clean them with a dab of sandpaper or wirebrush before reinstalling. Check oil level in motor. Check water level too. Once you're ready to see if she'll fire connect a hose from a small gas can to the inlet side of the fuel pump, or better yet do a gravity set-up straight into the carb. Add a small amount of gas down the carb throat. Before cranking make sure vehicle is NOT in gear. Clutches have been known to freeze up & the last thing you need is for ol' Jenny to fire up and run over someone.I'm sure I've left out a lot of minor details.

Bucky

Comment

Also look at ALL the wiring real good. Critters like to chew and nest so be sure to have a person as a standby with a fire extinguisher. That is not the surprise you need.

Comment

712 described the procedure pretty well, you should see oil pressure while cranking with the sparkplugs out, and before you fire it up have a fire extinguisher ready, just in case!!

Good luck with the project.

Greg

Comment

It runs like a sewing machine

The owner had it fired up when I got there. That 6 purrs like a sewing machine. Got the brakes bled so it stops now and the drive train all works. Now for the LU4, it was almost devoid of oil but turns freely. Thanks for all your input.

Comment

Working...
          X