Pivot repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pivot repair

What is the best method for repairing worn out holes in pivoting parts? In my case I have the e-brake parts off my FFPW. After 63 years the pivot plate holes are wallowed out and the pins are worn.

The pins are easy to replace, but what is the best way to repair the plates? Should I try to weld up the holes and re-drill? Drill them out larger and use bushings or bigger pins where possible? Re-create the parts out of new plate? Or is it just easier to replace them with NOS?

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
    What is the best method for repairing worn out holes in pivoting parts? In my case I have the e-brake parts off my FFPW. After 63 years the pivot plate holes are wallowed out and the pins are worn.

The pins are easy to replace, but what is the best way to repair the plates? Should I try to weld up the holes and re-drill? Drill them out larger and use bushings or bigger pins where possible? Re-create the parts out of new plate? Or is it just easier to replace them with NOS?
    You know what you are equipped to do. I would not go to bigger pins because then you would have to modify something else, too.

Weld up and drill is what I believe I would try. That helps you develop a nice relationship with the parts and the truck. Call me corny if you want....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

pin repair

before you weld up your holes and get them off center, buy a peice of brass and put it in the hole where it is centered and weld around that. that way the hole stays in the same place and all you have to do is grind it flat. (knock the brass out first) Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by pwdave View Post
        before you weld up your holes and get them off center, buy a peice of brass and put it in the hole where it is centered and weld around that. that way the hole stays in the same place and all you have to do is grind it flat. (knock the brass out first) Dave.
        Neat idea!
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

brass

do you mean a piece of brass rod to simulate the pin? Or a brass bushing? or a flat piece that matches the wallowed out hole? I'm having trouble seeing that in my minds eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Watt View Post
            do you mean a piece of brass rod to simulate the pin? Or a brass bushing? or a flat piece that matches the wallowed out hole? I'm having trouble seeing that in my minds eye.
            I think he meant to use a rod the same size as the hole you need in the part (simulate the pin). Then weld up the hole around the rod. Probably with both sitting on a brass plate. Then when you're done you remove the rod leaving the new hole and grind down any excess metal around the hole. Worst case you need to reem the hole slightly larger for the pin.

It is a good idea, I just have to see if I can find the right sized brass rods.

Comment

brass rod

sorry about the delay, my old computer died an untimely death and I just got the new one up and running. yes, what I meant was to use a brass rod the same size as the pin. the weld will not stick and will be easy to deal with afterwards. a hole drilled in a flat peice of brass to hold the rod upright while you weld it up is a really good idea. normally stuff like that can be found at machine shops & machine supply houses. good luck with your project. PWdave

Comment

Working...
              X