Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana 70 w/ 0.500 offset modify to 0.625?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 70 w/ 0.500 offset modify to 0.625?

Hello,

As i got always very competive and useful information on my threads in this forum, i wondering if someone was confronted with the following matter:

My W300, '66 with Dana 70 frt and rr (5.88) has obviously 0.500" offset but R&P is very expensive, hard to find und goes down to 4.10 only. For diesel conversion, i need 3.54 or lower. The Truck has only 21000 km so would like to keep this combo i.e. Dana 70.

Now i found on internet that one took a 0.625 offset gears set and cut 0.125 from the from the mounting surface of the carrier to achieve required 0.500 offset which would weaken the strengh of the case.

Is this common? Have anybody done this in past?

PS: Bom on frt is 2402 A and rr is 2400 for which no information is available.

I would highly appreciate any recommendation or comments,

thanks

werner

I think that .125 is too much to machine off the ring mounting surface. I would try to see if the .625 offset carrier would fit in your housing. I have two .500 offset housings but no .625 carriers to check this out for you. Try to get dimensions for the later carrier and compare to your earlier unit.

Frank

Comment

Working...
    X