front axle tracta joint questons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front axle tracta joint questons

I just did some front axle work on the truck and put some axle shafts(inner) and then used some tracta joints, as well as the outer axle shafts that came from another truck.

it now seems as if the left side will sort of bind up, almost like a universal joint does when the wheel is turned all the way left or right. The right side seems to be fine.

Both inner or male tracta joints seemed to be a rather tight fit into the "new" inner axle shafts that I got from VPW... the rest of the axle shafts set up came out of a M-37 with about 24,000 miles.. they seemed in nice shape, but not to the point of being 'new'.

Any ideas?

Jason

There should be .002 to .004 clearance in the pieces of the Tracta joint.
    Also check the stops on the axle that prevent you from turning too far, you could be exceeding the joints limits.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
      Jason
      you could be exceeding the joints limits.

Frank
      Thank you Frank, your response.

I am wondering how to test the clearance between the inner shaft and the inner male joint.. the flat surfaces I can handle.. and I am fairly sure they had some play in them as I was putting it together. As for this round surface, or half round surface, well it was a snug fit when I put it together. guessing that must be where the problem is.

would this "limit" be different from one joint to the next? that is exactly what it feels like, and yet the steering knuckle half's contain a welded in bolt that I assume was set by the factory.. as this left side is behaving it only seems to want to turn 3/4's of the factory range, beyond that it will sort of hang up. I'll go out and play with it a bit more with the insight that you have provided, and see what turns up.

Comment

Working...
      X