Lubrication by grease gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubrication by grease gun

I learned a lot when I was a kid growing up on Larry's farm. One thing I was always struck by was Larry's father and his relentless compulsion to grease everything in sight, or so I thought. Whenever we got out a piece of equipment, including the tractors, he first got the grease gun and lubed every fitting on it. If a fitting did not flow, we replaced it and lubed that point.

This does not apply to just cars and trucks, it also applies to tractors and mowers and other machinery. How often to you grease things and what prompts you to do so? I think it pays to grease often, it just gets put off too much, I fear.

The grease gun too often gets relegated to a forgotten, unseen, and perhaps disrespected location in the building. Perhaps it should occupy a prominent and important place in the shop, to bee seen at all times.

Discuss.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

When I came back to Iowa for the rally this year I stopped by to visit several relatives and old friends. One cousin and one good friend both had mentioned the religious ceremony my father performed greasing the equipment being used on the farm. Up early in the morning - everthing greased. And then again after a noon lunch. If we worked in the field through the evening - everthing greased one more time. I still have much of my fathers equipment from the '60s and early '70s. It all works amazingly well. That was my dad's last big purchase - a new 656 International diesel, and it's far from being worn out.
    Attached Files

Comment

That is a wonderful story and a very nice tractor!
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

my wifes nickname for me is luber up dave. I normally have grease and oil dripping off of anything that moves on my stuff. Dave. I'd rather be seen walking on the side of the road carrying a dodge hubcap than riding in a chevy

Comment

My Grandfather Fred T. Carter, who owned and operated his own Atlantic Richfield service station and a tire retreading shop throughout WWII and into the late 50's taught me to lube and oil on a regular basis and to check, clean and gap the points. Solid state ignitions have eliminated the points in most engines and I installed one in my M37 but I still oil and grease lube points frequently, thanks Fred for the education. Carter

Comment

Working...
          X