Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed in repairing the chrome "Power Wagon" script pieces.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed in repairing the chrome "Power Wagon" script pieces.

I had my "Dodge" and "Power Wagon" name plates restored by a place in Pittsburg. They did a fantastic job and I am very satisfied.
    I am having a little trouble though now, getting ready to mount them. The studs on the back of these plates, to attach with nuts to holes in the hood sides, were corroded. The restoration process centered around the outside surface of the letters, not the studs.
    I was getting these ready to mount, and was gently chasing the threads with a 1/4 " NC die held in my hand. A few of these studs were so weak they snapped off about 3/16" up from the back of the plate.
    Now, I assume the metal in these plates was a casting. As such would it be difficult or impossible to mig weld a new section of a 1/4" bolt to the broken off "base" in the casting?
    Suggestions?

You could possibly use a product made by 3M. It is a double sided, really sticky tape, made just for attaching automobile trim. It is some tough stuff, holds great. I get mine where they sell autobody paint and supplys.
    Jeff

Comment

I think I will use this tape that you mention. I will also try and drill (very carefully) the studs off and tap for a new bolt, epoxy it in since there is not much meat to the emblems.

Comment

Working...
      X